TheRedKing

Peppermint or Common Bristlenose?

Hello guys,

I am liking the forums here so decided I'll get involved so here it is my first post!

I am currently cycling a 120cm x 45cm x 35cm what I plan to be moderately planted tank. It has a eheim 2217 filter as well.

My stock I plan on keeping is so far:

2 Pearl Gourami (Most likely)

6-10 Sterbai Corydoras (Definitely)

2 or 4 Common Bristlenose and/or Peppermint Bristlenose (Definitely)

6 Praecox Rainbows (Unsure)

8-10 Cherry Barbs (Most likely)

2 German Blue Rams (Unsure)

8-10 Some larger schooling fish like black skirt tetra (no idea)

If any of you could comment on this stock for my 200 liter tank I would greatly appreciate it! :D

My main issue is this:

I really like the bristlenose catfish and personally I quite like the look of the peppermint bristlenose over the common bristlenose. Is my 4ft tank which will be loaded with rocks, driftwood and caves adequate to house 4 of these catfish? ie either 4 common bristlenose or a combination of 2 common and 2 peppermint. Does the combination (2 common 2 pepp) even work? If I raise them up will they comfortably be able to breed in there without fighting and then move the young into a separate tank? What size do each grow in australia (I have read heaps of conflicting information on this so far)? What are the behavioural differences between the two species?

Cheers guys, really appreciate it as I don't want to unknowingly cause disruptions when I get the tank stocked.

200L is fine for 4 bristlnose, they get to about 15cm, peps can get to 20 but it is very rare. They will just eat algae and left over food on the bottom of the tank. I would suggest to start out with common bristlenose as they are much cheaper and quick to grow, as well as easier to breed. The stocklist looks good, just be carfull with your cherry barbs as they can be fin pickers. Just remember to be patient and let your tank cycle properly before you start adding fish and when you do add fish, just add one or 2 groups of fish a week.

200L is fine for 4 bristlnose, they get to about 15cm, peps can get to 20 but it is very rare. They will just eat algae and left over food on the bottom of the tank. I would suggest to start out with common bristlenose as they are much cheaper and quick to grow, as well as easier to breed. The stocklist looks good, just be carfull with your cherry barbs as they can be fin pickers. Just remember to be patient and let your tank cycle properly before you start adding fish and when you do add fish, just add one or 2 groups of fish a week.

I want to buy the bristlenose I get from multiple suppliers when they are young (cheaper). The peppermints near me go for $10-$25 when juvenile so it is a possibility. I would like to have one pair of common and one pair of peppermint and I may as well get them to age now as they take a while to mature. So if I do have these two species in I will most likely have to start off with 3-4 of each species and once I can sex them sell off the ones I don't really want and keep the pairs I like for breeding later on.

What do you think of this idea?

Also apparently cherry barbs are quite peaceful in community tanks unlike their cousins (tigers, black rubys, denison etc).

Finally, yeh, I don't want to rush these things, I'd hate to have something die on me from being impatient.

Thankyou for your help man, the best information I can get is from forums like these with experienced people like you.

Was this rectified in another topic? Or is this extra questions? a 4ft tank is huge for 4 Bristlenoses. I have a friend that has several Common Bristlenoses in a 4ft tank, and they haven't grown much at all, yet mine in a tank just under 2ft have grown considerably. Although mine compete less for food.