TheRedKing

Fluval Tronic vs Eheim Jager

I have a currently cycling 200L tank and I'm working out my heating.

I have an Eheim 2217 filter so the flow is pretty good.

My options really are:

(A) - 1 Eheim Jager 250W or 300W

(B) - 2 Fluval Tronic 150W

Which one do you choose and why?

I would go The fluval will use less power

I have 1 300w fluval on my 10x2x2 all winter did the job for me I all so have 300w

Jags in other tanks thermostat played up on me with 1 of them a 700l tank was up to 35 with heater set at 28 that was in winter

huh? fluval tronic 150w rated for 150 liters jager 300w 600 to 1000l and 250w 400l to 600l

have you even looked at them?

Yes, one fluval tronic 150W is rated for 150 liters however I have seen on other forums that instead of having one powerful heater it can be beneficial to have two weaker ones at either end of the tank to ensure even and consistent heating throughout the body of water.

Also, it can get quite cold where I live in the winters and apparently higher wattage heaters are adequate for eliminating the swings in temperature I might experience. I have always been leaning towards getting a 250W heater, however I left the option open for a 300W heater because for some people in my situation a heater of this wattage could potentially be better.

But this is information I don't know for sure so I come to you guys to be enlightened.

I think you have to worry about the wattage more than the brand. On a cold snap it is not the brand that saves you it is the wattage you need to get the temp up there. Tonight you are looking at about 10 degrees where you are so you really need to run a bigger than normal heater if you are going to pick up 16 degrees on 200 liters. Go 300 watt or two 300 watt it will only use what it needs or work for as long as it takes to get the temp up so if you. Spend a couple of extra bucks and cover yourself as the extra cost of the heater will be less than what you have to pay to replace a fish or deal with whitespot or deal with issues.

http://www.thetechden.com.au/Sera_Heater_300W_p/s8750.htm

Have a look at the chart on our web site - I know it is for the Sera heaters and you did not ask about them but look at the chart and it will give you an idea of what to run with room temp to wanted heat in the tank. Would not be bad to consider the Sera heaters - like who else is going to give you European Made, 5 Years Warranty, Heater Guard and they are not badly priced either. The important thing is to check out the chart so you get a good idea on what size to get.

lol charts real accurate. according to that chart you would need 2 x watts to liters in winter in Brisbane, pretty poor advise IMO like telling someone with a 6x2x2 to buy 1200 watts or 4 x 300watt jagers

I'm going to get a 200W Jager as you mentioned Sydicate, it should do me fine for the summer and spring weather approaching and if it struggles in 6 months when the colder weather comes I will get another heater of smaller wattage to run alongside it.

Cheers for the help lads.

You need to compare apples with apples Syndicate...

As Per Eheims manual.....

These are standard ratings for closed aquariums with

an ambient room temperature of 21°C/70°F and a desired water temperature of up to 26°C/79°F.

http://www.eheim.com/resources/product//440/downloads/11/EHEIM_aquarium_heater_25_-_300_manual.pdf

Yet you quoted the 16 degree difference on the chart with Sera. But if you compared the same (5 degree difference) with Sera you would have found the 200 watt heater is what they suggest.

The problem is the lowest ambient temperature that the room is at any point and if you know that you can work out what is the best size heater.

Hornsby drops to 11 degrees but not knowing the lowest room temperature and the temperature you want to heat to means you have to guess a bit.

I think you have to worry about the wattage more than the brand. On a cold snap it is not the brand that saves you it is the wattage you need to get the temp up there. Tonight you are looking at about 10 degrees .
You need to compare apples with apples Syndicate...

Yet you quoted the 16 degree difference on the chart with Sera. But if you compared the same (5 degree difference) with Sera you would have found the 200 watt heater is what they suggest.

>>>Hornsby drops to 11 degrees<<<<

Please reply when you wanna make sense mate, dont dish out poor advise it clear you where just pushing for a sale