Jump to content
Davo25

Best formulin based medications?????

Recommended Posts

lol, sorry should have wrote that...

Black itch and fin/tail rot...

Ive been doing sum reading for the best treatment, ive tried quite a few including meth blue but nothings working...

so far ive used,

Wardleys ickaway,

wardleys fungus aide,

Aqua masters methylene blue,

and a general medictaion....

all of which are not working.....

Ive read trichlorfon is a good med, all natural etc...

Would that help my predicament?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fin & tail rot is mostly caused by a bacterial infection.

Mainly occurs when after damage due to stress, poor conditions, parasitic infection etc.

What other signs are your fish showing?

You will need to treat the rot with a bacterial medicine.

Never seen a fish with black itch. Got a pic.

Is it like this

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/compldiagnodisease/a/aa041701.htm

there is a link to hit for a pic.

Frenchy :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frenchy,

Yeah mate its exactly like that pic.My male barlowi has thoses spots all over his skin and has im pretty sure tail rot.The female barlowi has black spots closer together looks more like a black line but is the same.

He has gone thorugh so much has this male he is a real fighter, lost an eye to bubbleye/popeye disease, hes had numourus amounts of scars from fighting, had whitespot and now this.

Unfortunately, im currently in new zealand on holiday, my family is looking after my fish while im over here.When i get back i will post up sum picks.

If you have anymore info on this i would really appreciate this, as this is something ive never come across before and im having a hard time treating it.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi

Black itch is normally a saltwater parasite, but one or two cases have happened in freshwater.

Can you get a picture?

It is probably a fungus.

Did you dose properly with the cures? and did you re-dose when it said to?

Also, do you have acivated carbon in your filters? it could stop the medication from working.

Beau :D:):(:o8O:?8)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback on my fishes diseases...

Boddiz, All the meds i have used i have followed to the letter and redosed when the bottle has told me too.I took out all the carbon from my filters including all the matrix and purigen too.Im pretty sure it is a fungus so i have been treating it as so.Didn't know it was mainly for saltwater tho.

Frenchy, i feed my fish a routine weekly diet of the following on certain days, bloodworm,brineshrimp,cichlid gold,spirulina,psi and i have a fasting day on mon's.Sometimes i give them o.s.i. flake too.

I clean my tank before the disease usually every two weeks due to the water restrictions, but with the purigen and matrix it seems to be going good.Filter my main one for the tank i do once every three weeks.

Josh and kylie,

Im going to next try melafix, haven't tried that yet, but i have noticed that it did not contain any formulin, so didn't know if i should but i do know its a more natural med.

Hope that some of that has helped..

Dave :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try not feeding the fish bloodworms. Could be a reaction to that too. Produces allergic reactions in 30% of humans. It is not a recommended food for fish by the old pros.

Be careful when you remove matrix etc from tanks, if you don't store these properly, then the bacteria dies, therefore you are basically re cycling the tank every time you treat your tank. Some medicines don't affect the bacteria at all.

Frenchy :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you let it dry out you kill the bacteria that is on it. If treating a tank & removing bacteria media. Best to keep in a tank with dither fish,{therefore any disease on the media isn't transfered to something you care about}

Or in a bucket, water, airate & something healthy fish wise that has no use. Reason, so the bacteria dosen't die off. If you are treating for 3 days for example, bacteria in a bucket of water with nothing to feed off{fish wise}, results in death of bacteria. What you can do is have the bucket of water, add a pinch of food each day.

Some medicines have no affect on the bacteria at all. Therefore removing is a waste of time & means you have to recycle your tank. I never remove mine because of the pain on how to store for reasons above.

I can easily grab a healthy media off another tank to re start a tank better, once treatment is fininshed. Anti Bacterial medicines of coarse are the worst on media.

Frenchy :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well my male adult barlowi died this afternoon, this black spot prooved too much for him, but is strange, it was the female that got this disease first not him, and she seems ok for now.

Will keep you informed

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...