Eh man

Barbados corydoras

Hey guys has anyone bred these guys?ive got a small colony,they lay heaps of eggs but 99% of the time don't hatch.

Any info or experience on breeding would be much appreciated.

I know they like acidic and cooler water.ive managed to raise round 6 fry.

There all about 7cm.ive got 2boys with 7females,i did have 1 boy 7 girls cause I heard if there is too many males they will usually fight between them selves instead of spawning

Yep tried that,no luck.maybe the male I had in there is shooting mostly blanks.ive swaped him with two other males now so ill wait and see if that helps.i didn't think they would be this hard to spawn.ive got w/c melini corydoras and got them goin fine,just can't figure these Barbados out

I find the cooler the water the more they spawn 23-24.they like the winter in my fish room.feed them on blood worms and sera flora flake,they lay a batch of eggs the size of a 20c piece and bigger.i put almond leaves in too.

Having lots of air is good but I wouldn't add it until you want to trigger the spawn. They appreciate the boost in dissolved oxygen and will often spawn in the newly created water current. You can add quite a bit of ice to drop temps the night before you want a morning spawn as this simulates an approaching storm. On more difficult species, you can let nitrates build right up before doing a large water change with a handful of earthy mud mixed in. Doesn't sound like your having trouble triggering spawns though.

If your males are only 7cm then you may just have to wait till they become bigger/more fertile.

I'd appreciate the opportunity to buy some babies once you get the kinks worked out.

Edited by aquaholic99

You could try as well by adding a few picers of pipe on a 90 degree angle with an air stone at one end and some meth blue when you see the eggs but do a water change when you see the eyes form in the eggs

Yeh I put slate and timber near the top of the tank before hoping they would lay on that and then move the eggs to the tank below with the same water but no go,they always lay around 2inches from the top,ive caught them breeding a few times and its funny to watch,she scubs a bit of glass with her anal fins were she will lay,its like she does a little dance over that spot for about 30min on and off before she starts to lay.maybe it is just a waiting game till they get bigger and hopefully get the hatch rate right up there.

Use some fresh ficus leaves - bunched and clamped to side, These are wide enough to spawn on and tough enough to last the hatching period. Anything deep green will do but I get good results from ficus and easily available.

Ficus is fig Donny. I wouldn't be using any plant that has white sap when the leaf/branch is broken. Ficus elastica, Ficus benjamina etc are common in QLD and are known for skin irritants in humans, cats and dogs. It may or may not have any effect on fish but probably not worth the risk.

On a side note. I believe AQIS use Fish Base as a resource for identification. Fish Base has moved this fish out of the genus corydoras, which makes the fish now illegal to import.

When do the experts think AQIS will stop these being imported? How long before they'll be lost to the hobby if they can't be imported?

That does not sound good,makes me want to breed these guy successfully even more now.i might have to get hold of a chiller to keep the temp down durin summer.

I regularly use ficus benjamina which doesn't have any milky sap. Only because its easy to find and lasts for a while under water and with acriflavin. As mentioned, you could use any dark green material including silk plants I suspect.