I know I should not be complaining my bill was $567 for the quarter, which is small potatoes compared to some peoples, but what I don't get is we have actively tried to reduce our consumption, with the LEDs and the insulation and chosing when we use appliances which we chose to be energy efficent, yet our consumption has apparently gone up. I don't get it. We stoped using the big Vacum cleaner and switched to a hand held rechargable stick Dyson as it seems to be able to do the same job as its big brother in 20 minutes of charge, I wasn't aware that vacum cleaners use that much power, even more reason as to why I question our consumption. I swear they make it up.

yes prices have gone up. one reason you're paying more. my old forester cost $620 insurance - its probably only worth $4-5k.....so what the?

so don't electricity companies have the right to charge for the power? like the banks and petrol and woolies and coles..? oh, the government should regulate it to make it fair?

no one here is complaining about $1.50/l petrol anymore. I remember coming back from europe years ago and paying 1.20 euro/l there and thinking that was crazy - it'll never happen here. Don't get me started on bank fees and car insurance....

grubby

re your leds - if they are 12v you are still powering a transformer (from 240v) which probably uses more power than the lights themselves.

if you use evacuated tubes its unlikely that you'll need to boost at all (I'd use electric boost with manual switch).

yes prices have gone up. one reason you're paying more. my old forester cost $620 insurance - its probably only worth $4-5k.....so what the?

so don't electricity companies have the right to charge for the power? like the banks and petrol and woolies and coles..? oh, the government should regulate it to make it fair?

no one here is complaining about $1.50/l petrol anymore. I remember coming back from europe years ago and paying 1.20 euro/l there and thinking that was crazy - it'll never happen here. Don't get me started on bank fees and car insurance....

grubby

re your leds - if they are 12v you are still powering a transformer (from 240v) which probably uses more power than the lights themselves.

if you use evacuated tubes its unlikely that you'll need to boost at all (I'd use electric boost with manual switch).

Yeah but these are screw in bulbs, not transformered downlights.

My electricity company charges more per kW (or whatever it is...) during "peak" times. If that is true, I wonder how much of a difference it would make to have lights on for a planted tank (assuming it's on a timer for like 6 hours or such) to turn on at midnight and run until 6am?

We got one of those monitor things- it's pretty cool to see what things use electricity wise.

I know the average dryer costs about $2.50 per load to run- my laziness caught up to me on that!

Dani

We got one of those monitor things- it's pretty cool to see what things use electricity wise.

Which one did you get?

I've been looking at several different options and one that caught my attention, mainly because of the ability to read the solar generated power also, is the Wattson Solar Plus.

There are so many mixed opinions about it though. So I'm not sure which way to go.

Thanks Dani.

Yeah I had one of those. Unfortunately they don't take into account any solar energy generated and/or used.

Edited by ozmo
grammar was off :)

My electricity company charges more per kW (or whatever it is...) during "peak" times. If that is true, I wonder how much of a difference it would make to have lights on for a planted tank (assuming it's on a timer for like 6 hours or such) to turn on at midnight and run until 6am?

I know the average dryer costs about $2.50 per load to run- my laziness caught up to me on that!

Dani

Hi Dani

I think you will find your electricity retailer also sells in Victoria ... hence the 'time of use' tariffs. I don't think anybody in Queensland has yet been provided with the "smart meters" which enable use of these types of tariff structures.

Your idea might still have merit however if you want to get that lighting system wired into the "off-peak" tariff meter that runs your hot water system. This "off-peak" feed doesn't change rates as such ... it works by simply not being available during peak times. It's also not a 100% predictable service as the power producer uses this grid to balance base load power which means your timer idea probably won't work because the timer will stop whenever power is unavailable

Correction ... it seems there were a limited number of Smart meters capable of time of use tariffs rolled out as a trial. Given the cost blow out in Victoria, the Queensland government isn't mandating roll-out but letting customers drive the change via their retailers

Edited by lochdan

I thought there are only certain equipments you can connect to the lower tariff : pool and hot water. It needs to be wired by a license electrician and the energy provider signs off or formally connect it. I was planning to do it, but it will cost me a few ks as the circuit are far away and will need to dug up the lines to be legit.

The plan above on connecting lights to the line of the hotwater maybe questionable.

Correct me if im wrong.

yep ... and in the bad old days each appliance needed to be hard wired

It appears that this 'hard wired' requirement has been eased .... so I wonder if its even now possible for the power company to police or control what appliances get plugged into this circuit

I've heard a number of people using controlled tariffs for washing machines etc ... so why not aquarium lighting?

On Ergons website they simply state "Tariff 33 can be used to connect suitably sized electric storage, solar and heat pump hot water systems. It can also be used to supply pool pumps and other appliances that do not require electricity all day.

Worthy of thought :)

maybe a grey area