Sonny is a daddy again! when his clutch is out I'll be taking him out an giving everyone a break. grow what I have up then off to new homes they go.

the kriblets are doing very well to, some of the older ones are starting to get their adult colors.. so they will also soon be onto new homes. the krib pair are in their own tanks so the can look after their young together as they arnt to happy when I had taken their young away.

the last of my mollies are going to new homes in the next couple of weeks, new to fish keeping an a great start for her. :)

is there any tips for growing out the b/n quicker?

oh so happy. I have the multis breeding. I found two clutches of fry at different ages. I was starting to wonder if they were breeding.

also have seen that one of my b/n fry is at 4 cm, I happy that one did survive for the loss I has a couple of months ago. ( there are a couple more but not as big.)

the kriblets are doing very well an I'm very happy with the results.

I'm going to make a couple of snail traps due to infestation in both the 3f display an the multis tanks.. :S

some of the survivers from my big loss... soo happy. looks like the 3 short fins will be like their dad, marbles, the long fin looks to be standard. there are probably another 2 or 3 longfins in still in the breeding tank. :)

post-10736-14711630354383_thumb.jpg

Edited by HannibalsMum

so I was moving my pair of kribs from the garage to the lounge, mum was really picking on dad badly, so I took him out, had a peek in the cave an saw that there were a couple of fry. when the dad was taken out mum brought ALL the fry out... maybe bout 30 or more. great surprise for Xmas. XD

oh so got the gourami to breed, got the female out without hassle. bout a day after I look into the fighter tank an no male gourami! the little bugger somehow got out an was found dead an dried up under tudes tank... I was worried that the eggs wouldn't make it however the fry hatched that avo an they are going great! in was a little worried that they wouldn't develop their air lung but all seems well in that department.

on a side note I'm feeling a bit down, I know I haven't spent as much time with my fish family an I'm also in despite need of an AOA shop... I was stressing when I'm watching the temps rise in my tanks an unable to do anything bout it.. ( including not ice prepared) so that kinda got to me. thus weekend is a fish weekend wither the other half likes it or not!

I know.. lol.

ok so did my grocerie shop for the yesterday. I love going to Aoa. the boys are awesome to chat to. ( did spend a little longer than should of but hey... lol) the fish were very happy when they got their frozen foods.

I realized on the way home I think I would have close to 700-800 fish... that's a lot! I have my b/n fry that are doing well.. 2 couches of kriblets , a clutch of gourami, an the multis are breeding really well to. :) feeling good bout them all. XD

I have decided not to breed anymore fish till I move in June, I don't want to be moving fry. it's going to be hard enough to move what I currently have. my biggest concern will be the rams as they need their water just right an I have learned from water changes I have to sit the water before adding it. really any if the tanks that have low pH's could be a.problem. on some of them I can slowly rise the pH so it will sit at the taps pH unless we get a place with a water tank.... just another thing to add to the list. lol

the plan for the next couple of months is getting the garage sorted out and setting up a breeding/grow out rack. not a very big one , just a three level probly 2-3f wide. I'll be running sponge filter system here. tude is also going to be getting an upgrade to a 2f tank for two reasons, one is spot.. he's is to big for the tank they are in now an two, the filter is to much for the tank an tude has a hard time keeping up.

I'm thinking I can sell my first kribs next week an also a couple of b/n.. that will pay for their food that I got this week.. lol.

*having a little dance... * finnaly seen that one of my peppermints us going to be a male, he has two small bristles on the top of his nose, two large ones at the tip an a few around the edge.. just got to wait an see what else I'm getting. ( the other two have the two on the end but haven't seen their noses fully yet to see what else they have.)

I very carefully did the gourami frys first water change, an I have counted 9 surviving fry left. I'm pretty pleased with that, they have started to grow their older bodies. there are a couple that are very small. but at least 5-6 will get to full age. XD

ok so just an update of what's going on in the fish world...

I now have a full ram tank that has 4 gold, 3 butterflies, 2 blues an 2 neons ( the smallest of the rams, may have male an female there)

I found out that Pearl ( betta) is not a agrresive female but in fact a male comb poss half moon. plakat.. his face has the markings of a female however he is a he as I found out putting him in a breeders box with my known female an he started to make a bubble nest an display to her. I now have him in the ram tank on his own as he is very aggressive to Betty, the other males AND himself if he catches his refection. lol. my other half isn't to happy bout it cause he was sold to my other half as a aggressive female. pearl is now knowen as strop as in stroppy.

for the gourami fry, I have 4 left. they are doing really well an starting to take in their adult form. they have tiny feelers now an look so cute when they are eating with them wiggling.

I have set up another tank in the lounge for the other half. its another multis tank. it has mostly fry an juvies with a couple of adults.. ( I think a breeding pair). the other half loves watching them an their antics.

b/n fry are doing well. just waiting on getting them big enough to sell now. already had an offer to supply as they are finding it hard to find b/n but it was an offer that is a common b/n price, I'm not sure if they know I have longfin or they want them at the size I have them now an they grow them out themselves. I didn't talk to them directly but will hopefully soon.

the first clutch of kribs are ready to go of to new homes an the second lot are doing well. they will soon be ready for new home also.

so I think that's all I can think of right now. so not to bad for the start of the year.

( couple of photos.. will add more later. o love Sonnies photo the best)

post-10736-14711630820403_thumb.jpg

post-10736-14711630820576_thumb.jpg

post-10736-14711630820744_thumb.jpg

post-10736-14711630820893_thumb.jpg

post-10736-14711630821031_thumb.jpg

Have you heard we now have a feral betta population established up north?

huh? stupid people letting fish go in the wild! damn stupid people! if you don't want them, give them a new home... not let them go!

Jeff on the AL forum was talking about them.

After reading a couple of different articles in the local papers it looks like this years wet has flushed a lot of Bettas out of Fogg dam into the Adelaide River(for those interstate its the home of the Jumping Crocodiles and approx. 45 mins east of Darwin).

Have you had the chance yet to catch any of these to see how they have change over all the years they have been in Fogg Dam. It would be very easy at the moment if they are in the drains that run along side the road out on the flood plain. Maybe you may need to wait another week till the water level drops a little as last week when I was out at Scotts Creek there was a huge amount of water on that flood Plain and it still hadn't seen the water come down from Adelaide River Township.

Lets us know if you have any photos of recently caught "wild" Betta's.