Daharkazangel

Oscars knocking eggs over after they lay?

So after nearly three years, it turns out that I don't have two male Oscars but infact have a male and female lol. :eyebrows:

They have cleared a patch in the gravel and are laying eggs tonight but the male is knocking the eggs clear as he attempts to fertalise?

There is rocks in the tank, so I don't get why they didn't just lay on one lol. Im more surprised and just enjoying watching them be silly, don't really want more Oscars lol.

Has anyone bred Oscars before? And did they do the same as my two?? Or are they just first timer mistakes in the fishy world??

Sounds like a young pair. However I have also seen an oscar lay eggs, another oscar attempt to fertilise, then a while later try again but with roles reversed. So..yeah. Crazy lesbian oscars.

Sounds like a young pair. However I have also seen an oscar lay eggs, another oscar attempt to fertilise, then a while later try again but with roles reversed. So..yeah. Crazy lesbian oscars.

That made me LOL. I can clearly tell the sex of mine however :P Tubes are very different when fully dropped. Kinda interesting, im surprised how small the eggs are for 30cm plus fish lololol Was expecting eggs the size of my coffs harbour gravel hahaha!! Silly me...:drum:

Do you have big wide flat rocks or slate? They find this easier to lay on as the female will lay in concentric circles using older eggs as a guide. It doesn't matter if the male knocks or moves eggs as they should still be getting fertilised. If they don't find your rocks acceptable they will dig through gravel and lay on the tank bottom itself.

Well, there is like three eggs left lololololol. They look fertile but wont last. I do have rocks in there flat and square, im thinking i need bigger lol. The size of the patch they cleared? Def a awkward first time lololololol....