Sign in to follow this  
lilly1958

Gold Occies

Sexy little fish :) I have Blue Occies and fry growing if you wanted some down the line.

I gather you realise they are not a community fish, agro is an understatement

Yes Mitch I've heard they can be just a tiny bit territorial. :laser:.

I have a 2 foot tank I can set them up in on their own. From what I have read that size could take 2 males & a few females for each of them. Would that be correct?

How long till your fry are ready & do you know anyone that has the Gold ones?

Cheers

I have a pair in a 60 x 45 x 30 and they breed like rabbits. I had to sell 2 girls as they were fighting constantly and 2 were stuck up above the filter 24/7 :(

My old boy was in my 4 ft community tank for a while until he killed an 8cm Calvus and ate all the fins and tail off another so I would never risk mixing them again :(

My fry will be ready in 2 months or so.

Try [MENTION=7908]corymad[/MENTION] or [MENTION=429]noddy[/MENTION] as I know they both have golds but not sure if any fry yet. [MENTION=6608]jester88[/MENTION] also has a few pair but not sure if he wanted to sell.

Good luck :)

Hmmmm I might have to rethink this, don't know if I want serial killers in my home.:fish:

Still they are very cute looking. Any idea what I should look at paying for them if I do find some?

Your occie types regardless of colour are absolute nutjobs and buying a group and having one kill all the rest is not uncommon. They really are a big fish in a little fish's body and need space IMO.

similis, multies are better choices for small spaces, and Brevis to a lesser degree.

Well said Gingerbeer :)

Occies look cute but looks are deceiving.

Not only will they kill each other but expect to be bitten everytime you clean or put your hand in the tank

I had a few black ocellatus for a little bit, and I was trying to get a few more to spread the agro out.. They're hard to sex, but I think I had 2 males, 1 female.. so it made the tank very tense. I had to move them on, since they were harder to get a hold of, and the LFS I got the first lot from didn't get more in..

They were very pretty to look at, and watching them dig shells was fascinating.. It was touch and go when you were cleaning the tank and bumped a shell though. I never got attacked, but they definitely weren't scared if you put your hand in the tank..

Similis look like a nice, quieter, replacement though.. So when I get some money together, I might look at giving my shells new occupants, haha.

He knows his place! ;)

... don't tell me the similis can be nasty as well!! D: I'll have to buy 20, just to have 5 that get along :| lol

Oh, shell-wise.. I ended up raiding the hermit crab shells at the petshop .. and scrubbed/soaked them to get rid of crab-germs. The owner/manager gave me a few shells out of the crab tank..so it helped the budget a little, haha. I avoided the ones that were painted though.. I'm not sure how they would go in water.

If you change your mind on the Gold Occies I see [MENTION=7908]corymad[/MENTION] has a breeding pair for sale.

My breeding pair get on great with each other so if they are at that stage and only the two of them you should be ok.

Hey all, I get my shells from coralcoastshells.com

Personally I haven't had any violent aggression from my Similis, only 'dancing' & displays. Definately one of those fish that won't take sh.. though. 3-4cm Similis in with 12-14cm peacocks & they don't worry bout the Aulonos at all.

No longer have my 5 adults (sold 3 to my cousin that are livin in a Malawi community no dramas, sold the breeding pair to a forum member) but they all lived happily in a small 85L tank & now 30+ fry from the breeding pair are living & growing happily in an even smaller tank (lots of water changes) & even sharing shells. I watch my fry tanks every single day for at least 20min just to make sure all is good, they're all well fed, no damage or fighting etc. etc. & I've only ever seen 2 fish out of 30+ with nipped fins & it was only a tiny lil nip both times, healed in days.

Not saying aggression doesn't happen but it's much lower risk with Similis compared to occies & most other shellies apart from Multies.

post-9752-14711629983124_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1471162998332_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the info. I think I like the sound of the similis or multis better.

Does anyone know who might be breeding them. Reading up on them it would better to have a harem 4 girls & 1 boy..

Cheers

Sign in to follow this