Badassmc

What can I breed?

Hey guys I'm just toying with the idea of turning my 5x2x2 into a breeding tank for cichlids. I have very little experience with breeding and I'm not really sure what I would try and breed. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what would be a good starting species to help me learn the ropes because I can see myself doing some more serious cichlid breeding at some point down the line. Any help or suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks. Oh and yes I have already bred convicts hahaha

you could breed some decent size Tangs. in there . Then there are Peacocks . A pair of - Oscars , Severums , Jack dempseys , or other mid sized Americans .

The choices are many but I would suggest one of the less aggro Malawi mouth -brooders to start off . Managing aggression in larger Americans is not easy .

I think if you were to go Americans , some Geophagus might be an interesting way to go .

Are you thinking of breeding fish or just having a tank that fish breed in? If your trying to breed fish you will also need a few more tanks to hatch, get to safe size and also grow out. And more tanks to separate batches and species. However if you just wantto see fish breed and dont mind if fry vet eaten or how many survive then a single tank is fine. Most cichlids are quite easy.

Thanks for the replys I appreciate all the advice. I guess I'm not too fussed by African or American was thinking along the lines of maybe a group of some cool Africans maybe 5 or 6. I'm also not really worried about saving fry right now but it wouldn't take much effort to set up some fry tanks and what not. I've seen a lot of frontosa colonies for sale lately would they be an ok beginner fish or are they more difficult to keep/breed? I know the basics of keeping Africans but I've never kept a species specific aquarium

i wouldnt start out spending alot of dollars on a colony of frontosa. not yet get the hang of it first. their not difficult to keep but not as hardy as malawi's. maybe if you like fronnies. get some young and watch them growout over a couple years.

I would just get what ever fish species you like. Either jumping in with some adults or getting some small ones to grow and gain experience. It depends on how impatient you are and what your goals are. Most fish will breed if you keep them in good conditions and well fed. However with a little experience it is also easy to get fish to breed when you want which is a higher level of fish keeping. Again just depends on what your after.