BEA_V1S

macropore...yay or ney

is alot more cost effective if you do not recharge, helps to justify throwing away after single uses,

Who would be this lazy and wasteful?

If you're going to throw it away why not give it away for someone else to recharge and use?

Who would be this lazy and wasteful?

If you're going to throw it away why not give it away for someone else to recharge and use?

I'm pretty lazy to be honest ozmo and time is money, and when macropore is so dirt cheap it makes perfect sense to throw it away rather then stuff around recharging,

although very valid point, if i did know of someone who would want single used purigen/macropore i would happily donate along to them, but my friends tend to be likewise...

Purolite lol. Is macropore made in australia or is it made where purigen is made?

Macropore is not made in Australia - don't quote me but I think there is only one major Anion and Cation Resin Exchange manufacturer and there are so many variations.

If I dont want to bother with a recharge.......... then chemipure for the win.

Lasts longer and being a blended chemical filtration, it removes a broader range of pollutants.

That said macropore is sort of more cost efficient in the long term.

I say sort of as you have to factor in how you are recharging.

Bleach freaks a lot of people out, so dechlorinator use tends to be very high.

On big systems, with fbf......... they are pretty awesome.

It does not replace water changes, but does reduce them.

The big perk to any quality chemical filtration media, is that it makes your water clearer.

Theres plenty of options out there. Macropore is a solid choice for many tanks.

Personally I usually go with chemical media choice based on the individual aquarium and the filter its to be placed into.

Meaning sometimes a quality carbon, or a phosphate removal resin, is the more optimal choice.

It will be far and away more effective if you can keep it fluidized in a reactor, but having said that most people are pretty lazy with it and just put it in a bag in their filter.

It will be far and away more effective if you can keep it fluidized in a reactor, but having said that most people are pretty lazy with it and just put it in a bag in their filter.

would the tank be effectively a BIG fluidised filter if you have a few bags or macropore/purigen tumbling and floating on it? Let say put about 10x 1liter bags inside a 6ft tank - it doesn't look good though.

I use the Gold for my Discus & Americans & the White for my other tanks.

In one tank I have tied the bag to an airhose with an airstone, that way it's not floating around the tank if I use sponge filters.

would the tank be effectively a BIG fluidised filter if you have a few bags or macropore/purigen tumbling and floating on it? Let say put about 10x 1liter bags inside a 6ft tank - it doesn't look good though.

Not really, as you really want the water to be passing around the resin as much as possible - penetrating through the bag - floating will have limited penetration which is why fluid beds work so well you can see the water going around just about every resin particle.

I have heard people using them in hang on filters.

Edited by The Tech Den

macropore is an ion exchange resin

In the Macropore Gold it will use a ion exchange process where Calcium is replaced with sodium. Sodium which is essentially salt is at a very low level unless you have very hard water. Salt is commonly used in aquariums and has good medicinal properties.

Mmmmm……claims to make water softer….but it does't change TDS or conductivity of the water(you end up with same amount of dissolved minerals in the water)

Personally I prefer rainwater…..and no salt….for soft water species

I don't want a filter material to remove ammonia or nitrite….that just reduces the population of bacteria that use that as food

I prefer to remove nitrate with plants and water changes

No doubt it polishes the water….makes it look cleaner….can do that with Good old carbon, however…. I don't like 24/7 chemical filtration

:) just my opinion