warwick

When does a tank become too big?

G'day all. I've just picked up a 3000 litre (270cmx120cmx90cms) tank from a mate of mine and I'm wondering what to put in it. I'm a Frontosa nut with various WC colonies but I find it a little frustrating seeing mouthfuls in tanks that are too hard or big to catch from to milk. While I love breeding fronnies etc, I really need to use it as a display or grow out tank. I've thought about rays (seemingly hard to get atm), big americans etc. The jury is still out. Any suggestions?

PS. No neons, shellies or shrimps suggestions would be appreciated (I've already thought of them LOL)

Cheers Warwick.:cool:

Fronts are creatures of habbit. The girls will stake out a place to sleep each and every night so its easy to know where to net if you do this when lights are out. Its slso easy to have sliding partiions if you need to narrow space during catching. On my larest tanks full of fast africans I used an electro fisher to stun fish. These are only illegal to use in publuc watetways, but okay for private catchments and ponds/ tanks.

I find that a tank is too big when you can swim in it, then it's no longer a tank & you have to call it a pool! lol :pound: If it was my tank I would think about a biotope tank & have it looking like someone just took a big@ss chunk out of some river or lake with all the fish, driftwood, plants & substrate from that area. Saw one the other day that just blew me away, it was at a Aquascaping show down in Melbourne, this tank is a display tank in SubScape Aquariums & I think the dimensions are about the same as yours, 10x4x2.5(I think). :egrin:

SubScapeAquariums_zps7571870d.jpg

You could always put a whale in it! lol :pound:

QLDAF Registered Breeder shon982's Avatar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join Date:Sep 2009Location:Cashmere, QLDState:QueenslandPosts:4,503Mentioned:19 Post(s)Tagged:0 Thread(s)

haha warwick, put fish in there that you won't need to strip! Yeah Shon. Your 10 Kitumba Leptos plus my 20? That would be a start, mind you it would take a while to build numbers so it could be called a display.

I just had some great ideas!!!!

why not, leptos, featherfins, sandsifters, gobies, shell dwellers - all in one with heaps of room so they have space to multiply

Those O. Boops would actually look brilliant in that tank, wait till you see them in person

only other featherfin would be furcifer or foai but if you want 24/7 colour then O. boops or ventralis are the way to go

Lepto kitumbas will be sweet