razuya

Can you keep more than 1 female festae in an American community tank?

Thanks Goneself. I've read about their breeding aggression so have just assumed that no m/f combinations should be attempted in a community. Is that right?

Correct. Although if you are attempting to pair festae the best way is to allow the pair to, unfortunately, reek havoc on the rest of the community. They seem to revel in the carnage they inflict together. Bonnie & Clyde syndrome, or Mickey & Mallory ;)

Edited by ozmo

What else is in the community & how bigs the tank?

I find Americans aren't that hard just need space & or overcrowding to a degree, should be fine Unless you've got Dovii or umbee in the mix, then you're on borrowed time no matter how big & aggressive the tank mates are ;)

It's worked for me before. All depends on the fishes temperament. Some are more ill tempered than others so all you can really do is give it a crack (if you're ok with related risks) and watch carefully. Any problems I would pull one out. With festae things go from bad to worse fairly quick

Well I put the second girl in a few hours ago and so far so good. :pop2:

Its my display and I absolutely love the female festae so no problem keeping an eye on them :egrin:

its a 5x3x2 with assorted vieja, bocourti, texas, devil, jag, freddys, dollars, jds, flowerhorns, and 3 plecos. So yeah I've got the overcrowding thing covered :dance:

Oh and I just discovered the advanced emoticons.

post-8315-14711630060825_thumb.jpg

post-8315-14711630060651_thumb.jpg

Edited by razuya

Plenty of water changes and filtration with that stocking level mate...............I think the overcrowding will cut down on the aggression though. I'd look out for that clown loach..............if an inmate takes a liking to it, the bifurcated barbs may inflict some damage

Plenty of water changes and filtration with that stocking level mate...............I think the overcrowding will cut down on the aggression though. I'd look out for that clown loach..............if an inmate takes a liking to it, the bifurcated barbs may inflict some damage

Yep, running a FX5 plus a power head. Doing weekly water changes and powerhead sponge cleans. 6-8 weekly fx5 cleans.

I've also plan to trim the duplicate stock as they size up and I pick my favourites. A good number of them are around the 10c mark but as you can see theres also quite a few stonkers in there too.

The 2 loaches have been in for >3 months. So far they seem invisible to the other tankmates. Can you tell me more about the 'bifurcated barbs'. A quick google search didn't turn anything up.

^^^ Scroll down this page under the 2nd video. It should explain it to you. If a bigger fish tries to swallow it, they could be in for trouble, although the bright colouration of the loach, (or any fish) normally warns predators of danger..........like a red danger signal.

Clown Loaches Care and Behavior

Interesting. Seems they have some level of control over the barb as the one in the video only had the barb on the side of the dipsute protruding. Something to watch for.

Cheers :)