Hi

So I have a 6x2x2.5 Ive been meaning to set up for quite some time but really unsure what to put in it. Its either going to be my 2 festae or my planted display with around 50 fish.

Festae because i would like them to breed some day but not sure if thats going to happen any time soon as my male is around 4cm smaller than the female, yet they are the same age. They are in a 4x2x2 with 2 featherfin cats and a 34cm albino pleco which im trying to sell.

post-9141-14711630057392_thumb.jpg

Planted display because its looking a little cramped and having more space to fill would be good fun, not to mention i was thinking of adding my ghost in there (not sure if its wise). These are in a 5x2x2 and set up was a bit rushed so starting over would be nice.

post-9141-14711630057535_thumb.jpg

Sooo Festae to go in the 5x2x2 and transfer my community tank to the 6ft?

or Festae straight into the 6ft and hope for the best?

She is my favourite! haha

post-9141-14711630057657_thumb.jpg

If the plants go in the 6ft im changing the FX5 to an eheim pro 3 2080

Please help me decide!

Thanks

The 5x2 will be enough for the festae, once they start breeding you wont be able to have anything in there with em.

imo you want the male to be slightly smaller, so you might have success sooner than you think. Be aware though that once any breeding starts, you'll probably have to seperate them, so get some egg crate ready.

Thanks goneself,

I thought I had an advantage of him being smaller but she still chases him half the time. Her being full grown I can only wait til he gets a bit bigger to face her I suppose. And yea intend on getting rid of the tank mates.

Are dividers always necessary with festae? I didn't think it was a real issue especially with them being together their whole life and her being the larger aggressor.

Cheers

Yea I have spare acrylic and divider suction cups I can play with. But when/if fry eventually come, both parents will be calm with fry and each other or am I being too hopefull?

Festae are notorious for killing each other, fry or not. Generally what happens is the female will push the male around, and when he mans up and sticks up for himself is when you'll see breeding behaviour begin.

Ok thanks

One more question, when is the best time to separate? When things look like getting a bit nasty or when eggs are visible? Will it matter if the fry venture either side of the divide?