Fisheries Queensland

Collection of Dead Marine Wood

Morning All,

Started a new thread as I could not find the previous post in which the discussion of dead marine wood came up. Fisheries Queensland has put together a fact sheet to help clear up confusion when some of you are collecting wood for fish tanks. It can be found here: Dead Marine Wood

Cheers,

Dani

Dani,

Do you know the regulations of owning a property backing onto mangroves in regards to collection?

It is protected. Only answered as Dani is probably trying to find the answer to my enquiry among the mountain of other things she has to do :applause:

I have given this a clean and removed the price discussion - maybe start a seperate thread for that discussion, or if there is so much money in it go and get a liscense yourself and sell to stores.

Thanks Dani for this information and answering members question about collection of driftwood.

If the shells and dead coral are not regulated by size, number or form and are not specifically no take species (i.e. Helmet, trumpet and clam shells: regulated by species. All of these large and vulnerable shells are totally protected.) fisheries would not have any concerns over small scale collection of shells and dead coral from beaches for private use only (no sale) Collection is prohibited in a marine park, check with marine park rules and regulations.

Similarly, collection of wood from non-tidal freshwater waterways is not in breach of any fisheries regulations.

Please check with other agencies like GBRMPA, DNPRSR and DEHP for additional information.