litigator666

Carnivorous Plants on your Fishtanks

Anybody tried or have carnivorous plants on their tanks? I think this will be something interesting to add on a display. It got me interested when I’ve read a post on another section of the forum about these plants. Depends if I can access (availability and $reasonableness) them, I think this will be my next project to pursue.

Pretty much all carnivourus plants require water and medium that is devoid of nutrients and dissolved solids, that will severely limit your fish choice, and you would need to keep up on your water changes to ensure the water remains nutrient free. In saying that, Utricularia gibba is a common pest in planted aquariums and there are some other aquatic Utricularia that could work.

Utricularia (Bladderwort) only feed on very small insects and microbes though. If you want carnivores you could have something like a raised mass of peat moss (this will also soften the water and lower pH) with carnivores planted in it. Most carnivores require very damp conditions (but I doubt underwater) so there is a mutual benefit there. I'm thinking along the lines of a plastic container with holes in the sides to allow irrigation, suction-cupped to the side of a tank, submerged halfway.

I guess if you to feed the whole chunk of a hypothesis(eg of phone f.up.. that's supposed to be guppy) and big bits of meat it would. I feed mine a few blood worms in the odd cup every now n then if its doing poorly and with the meat its usually frozen and sliced very thin - less them 1mm and dropped in. Most of the time but they get nothing but the fruits flies or ants that may get to close