Sign in to follow this  
soulvdog

Tank or tap water?

I dont know if this has already been discussed but what r ur thoughts?

Ive been using tank water for my Africans. Ive had to add salts and buffers and their all healthy and my lombardois r even breeding but is there any risks or advantages by using tank versus tap water?

Hi Soulvdog,

I lived on the southside for about six years and had nothing but dramas with fish dying and bloat, algea, you name everything went wrong.

When I returned back to the northside "the good side of town"....I put in water tanks and have been using rain water since on my africans and I must say, the only deaths I have had is due to excessive aggression which I have now addressed. Even more recently after speaking with some forum memebers I have increased the amount of water changes to weekly and my little dudes love it. I do use a in house ager that I get from Smith's at Boondall.

Plus I even drink straight from my tanks. I reckon the town water stinks now and not to keen on the whole recycle water.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Stoppy

Hey mate,

It removes ammonia, chlorine, nitrates, zinc, aluminium, copper.

I think some guys call it buffer. I grew up calling it ager.

Cheers

Stoppy

I use tap water. I keep it in buckets for a week and do direct changes without Prime or anything else. Approx 25% at a time.

mate i live on tank water ( have excess to town water ) and i have had africans for years now , breed same as town water ect , but as u prob already now will need to add some sort of buffer ect , either using calcarb substarte or a chemical buffer and salt but apart from that its just as good and u know its striaght rain water unlike town water that can vary alot with whats put in it , imo tank water is always better but each to there own . i also use stuff called easy-life which is a conditioner - tonic - prophylactic , been using that for over 2 months now and seem real good stuff it improves the water quality ect also have found out it also helps with healing africans fins from there fighting at times but thats another topic

Terry

Hey Guys,

I use rainwater pretty much exclusively nowadays for my africans. I add epson salts to raise general hardness, bicarbonate of soda for carbonate hardness, and marine salt as it has added trace elements which may be lacking in rainwater.

Cheers, Doug

I use town water here withno problems what so ever even due to a leak in my sump which I have not been able to find. My fish on the system recieve a daily 200l water change. Lately I have been trialling the aqua pics range and have been loving it. The chlorine nuetraliser also binds flouride. BUt have been noticing a big difference since I have been using there african kh even had a mouthful of naevochromis that I have been trying to breed for 3 years.

But just my thoughts and no I am not ditributing these products at the moment so I have no reason to promote them was just interested in trying something new.

Hey mate,

It removes ammonia, chlorine, nitrates, zinc, aluminium, copper.

I think some guys call it buffer. I grew up calling it ager.

Cheers

Stoppy

For the record, this stuff is not buffer. It is the same as prime or neutraliser.....Recently learnt this via a very knowledgable formum member. Thanks Frenchy.....

Stoppy :)

Sign in to follow this