Nat T

Advice on new fish stocking

I am wanting to restock my 6ft tank with some new fish but am undecided on what type to go for. The only current inhabitant of the tank is a large gold spot Pleco. I previously had a large oscar in there with the Pleco but he went to fishy heaven about 4 months ago. African cichlids, Americans, natives - as long as they will coexist with my Pleco - happy for any suggestions

Thanks Nathan

If its going to be a desplay tank which I'm guessing it is I'd fill the tank up with various Africans from the mbuna species. Really nice colourful fish and loads of species available. Me personally not a fan of Americans because there's not much colour and thay are boring fish. That's my thoughts anyway

If you want fish with personality like I'm sure your Oscar had I'd go for some big americans of some sort but you may have to remove some eventually. If you're just after something nice to look at then yea go all out with a variety of Africans but you'll never find an African cichlid to be your buddy like an American one haha

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will give the Africans a go. Now to start setting up the tank. As I am new to this keeping of Africans caper I will have to do a bit of research on what fish to get as I want relatively peaceful inhabitants that won't annoy the crap out of my gold spot.