Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

litigator666

WTB: LONG Top Filter

I'm looking for a top filter to maximise the space on the top of my tank. These are the filters that are box type that sits on top of the tank with water running through the use of submersible pump. most curve type tanks had this filtration set up. I was looking at shops and ebay, but can only find the short boxes. I need a long box to fill with media approx 3ft long or longer. let me know if you have encountered this whilst browsing shops and on online stores. by the way need it in black colour as well.

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=cr&ei=RE92Utj7G6HK2gXl1YCYBQ#q=top+filter+aquarium

saw your old thread on building this. those that come with curve/complete tanks doesn't have a top cover. i'm looking at a set with a ready cover as i dont have hood and water may splash outside. im also looking at building it from a rectangular long container and buy the cheap ebay one and use their fittings for parts.

prefer though a complete ready to use set if i can get one.

BUGGER!

I just threw out a black 4ft top box filter, with lids, pipes, pump etc. you coulda had it for $0 down, no interest & no repayments ever!!! Sorry mate, it sat in the back yard for a couple months, I couldn't use it for anything, about to move house & then Friday (bin day) there was room in the recycling so I broke it up & hoiked it.

It came with a 4ft tank I was given (now been resealed & ready to be setup for my mate's mum).

Sorry mate, 3days too late but...

There's another, possibly free, curved glass Aqua One tank, 4ft with top filter. I'm just waiting to hear back from her & if I get the tank the filter is yours if you want it...

Mate, they are a great filter and easy to make. I've used overhead filters on various tanks ( marine, discus and rift lake cichlids ) over the years. Advantages are, cheap to make, cheap and easy to run, easy to maintain and depending on where you place the power head/pump, you can filter water from the bottom of the tank, middle or top. A very flexible, simple system. Perfect for discus as the water flow entering the tank is vertical rather than horizontal. I also used to make my own hoods in order to hide the filter and lights. My DIY knowledge and ability is probably at preschool level at best but had no trouble throwing these guys together. If you know your way around a glass cutter or know someone who can cut glass, Give it a go. If you have any questions, PM me or ring 0451175663. Cheers Warwick.

If you want to maximise your overhead filter efficiency, have it slowly fill and then dump cyclically. This eliminates the need for a trickle tray and maximises use of your bio-media since every bit of bio-media gets submerged/wet/used unlike a trickle tray that channels. The rising water also expels all the air so you get constant fresh new air to your bio-media and the dump creates a small wave into your main tank which oxygenates well. Not everyone likes the rising-falling water level on the main tank but the fish do.