pony-tail

Thorichthys species availability

There are 8 species of Thorichthys .

I was wondering if any - other than Thorichthys meeki and Thorichthys ellioti are available in Australia .

List of Aquarium species of Thorichthys ---

Thorichthys affinis

Thorichthys aureus

Thorichthys callolepis

Thorichthys ellioti

Thorichthys helleri

Thorichthys meeki

Thorichthys pasionis

Thorichthys socolofi

I have seen Thorichthys affinis a long time ago but none of the others other than the firemouth and ellioti

I just searched the forum , and found a year old thread that implied that all of the Elioti in Australia had congenital deformities .

I have seen Elioti without deformities , but as most here would know that does not mean they do not carry the faulty genes .

I was looking at getting some but now I am not so sure .

There is a thread about ellioti fry needing slightly colder and very clean water-the belief now being that 'inherent' deformities are actually caused by poor husbandry. I havent tested this het, but I'm thinking about starting breeding again and these guys will be an experiment...I cant for the life of me remember who, but someone on the sunshine coast was breeding them successfully for a while..

I am currently breeding straight Ellioti from a very straight male and a fairly straight female. Both parents and fry are in separate tanks and both tanks, especially fry tank, are heavily planted.

Here is a couple of shots of the fat little fry several weeks back after they'd finished gorging on Endler fry and baby snails...

yry7abyd.jpg

a7u9ajaj.jpg

And here is the father followed by the mother...

e8u9yjeh.jpg

manesy5y.jpg

My male is the best I've personally seen around for many years. That's not to say there aren't better specimens out there. He took a while to track down. The female is one from Roz.

I wouldn't say it's a start more like it's underway as I have been successfully breeding quality like pictured above for the past year or more.

I also remember [MENTION=4787]tangles[/MENTION] had a very good looking group as well.

And I do agree with the water conditions being a major factor in producing good, healthy specimens.

I have never kept them personally .

I have been keeping fish for 50 years but non-Discus central Americans , about 5 months. if that !

I am getting on a bit and looking to move to some easier to keep and breed fish to what I used to keep .

Less aggressive central Americans looked the way to go but mayby now looking less so .

I hope I can get some good ones to start off - If not I will try something else (multispinosus maybe )

I kind of had a plan in my head until I read about the deformity issues .

He is one of the best i have seen (pics only ) in my research today.

Some of the ones from down south have that wierd "Blood parrot" shape

Yes. The blood parrot look seems to be everywhere. I thought someone must have been trying to create a short bodied Ellioti for some ridiculous reason.

Im breeding them (in secrect squirrel mode) clean water and colder temps in my experience thus far, creates a lower cull rate. However a straight pair will produce bent fry, and a bent pair will produce straight fry. The gene pool is stuffed, all Ellioti are bent, some show it worse. Hopefully with the likes of ozmo and myself (also from tangles) the gene will improve. One can only try. I dont breed to sell atm, more into it for the hobby alone. Quality not quantity ;)

Talking about Thorichthys ellioti only.

Cant believe you forgot my name [MENTION=2912]goneself[/MENTION] ....sniff sniff. I have been quiet, but have i been behaving ;)

Hopefully with the likes of ozmo and myself (also from tangles) the gene will improve. One can only try. I dont breed to sell atm, more into it for the hobby alone. Quality not quantity ;)

FYI: Mine aren't from Tangles although I did buy some from him for my parents a while back.

There are 8 species of Thorichthys .

I was wondering if any - other than Thorichthys meeki and Thorichthys ellioti are available in Australia .

List of Aquarium species of Thorichthys ---

Thorichthys affinis

Thorichthys aureus

Thorichthys callolepis

Thorichthys ellioti

Thorichthys helleri

Thorichthys meeki

Thorichthys pasionis

Thorichthys socolofi

I have seen Thorichthys affinis a long time ago but none of the others other than the firemouth and ellioti

I used to have a shop in Deception Bay about 15-20 years ago and sold plenty of T. aureus and T. pasionis.

They possibly have all disappeared locally. If I recall correctly they came from Heinz Staudt at The Cichlidarium in Melbourne. Might be worth a call, if it still exists.