stephen.

Planted tank help

How long is a piece of string?

How big will the tank be, what filtration will you be using, will it be high-tech/high light, low-tech/low light, how many guppies, what plants do you like, what sort of aquascape do you want.

Nobody will be able to help much unless you give a little bit more detail.

3ft, 1000lph canister ( can go smaller) high light ( name of a good light? ) start off with about 15ish guppies and a few bn maybe some cherry shrimp , not 100% on plants I like val ( suggestions would be good ) hope this clears it up more thanks.

Just throw in as many cheap plants you can get your hands on and see what survives best.

I'm thinking of anubias, java fern, echinodorus ssp., a few stem plants, val.

Cleaning depends on stocking rates, how often you feed, how fast the plants grow, if you got algae.

In the end it's all trial and error, each setup is different.

Ask for true aquatic plants when you go shopping and then go from there.

Anubias, Java moss, java fern, cryptocorynes (crypts), Amazon swords and vallisneria are all easy to keep. As for lighting, I always recommend going big, get a twin globe or quad globe High output T5 light unit. If later on you decide to get more into it at least you would have the right light:) also as far as fertilisers go, the basic seachem flourish for comprehensive mineral supplementing and seachem flourish excel for carbon source are good, for the crypts and amazon swords look at getting root tablets.

^^^

This. It's a lot easier to downgrade with an "overpowered" light then it is to upgrade (short of just buying another one that is). If you can afford it now then I would also suggest T5HO quad-fitting, and you can just run either 1 or 2 bulbs depending on what you want to grow for now. If you decide to go high light you're probably going to need CO2 supplementation or glutaraldehyde or something, otherwise you won't see the guppies through your green glass.

With the right number of fish, type of fish and invertebrates, good plant mass and a balance between light and nutrients, you shouldn't have that much to clean with 15 guppies in a tank that size. You could probably get away with just a weekly siphon/water change. You won't need to trim plants or anything, which is a lot more annoying than it sounds...