Hi All

I purchased my tank with a hood light that wasn't working (It was rusted and completely junk)

I pulled it all out and screwed a bunnings Fluro into the hood (There was a metal panel left behind from the old light)

Now I am thinking of adding some low light plants Frogbit and something else

Does anyone have any suggesitons for lighting that may fit into my hood and that would do the job?

What would be the best way to attach it ?

My tank is 100cm long and 60 cms high

Thanks

I just have the bunnings battenfix fitted with with lead/plug sitting on top of tank inside hood (tank has to be covered).

It was the cheapest option and tubes are available in different colours.

I didn't get T5 or T8 fittings so I understand I am upfor a new fitting

bulebelle can you pleas elink me with the fitting you use and the bulbs you use?

Thanks

T8 are the normal fluoros, it's probably what you fixed on the hood already.

All my stuff is DIY and over 10 years old, so there's no link. I just change the tubes.

On my 60cm deep tank I have one Osram Daylight 865, 6500K, one AquaOne Tropical.

There's a thread going in plants and co2 - planted tank help - that might interest you

Edited by bluebelle

Did you put in a T5 or T8 fitting?

Either way at 60cm deep the best you will manage is some low light plants.

If it's a T5 your choices of tube will be limited as i suspect it will not be HO.

If it's T8 chuck in a Sylvania Gro-lux

Where do you get your bulbs from?

I can't remeber what type of fitting it was, is there anyway I can tell

Thanks

T8's are the thicker standard sized tubes you see in conventional home batten fittings. They are 1" (25mm) in diameter.

T5's come in low output (LO) and high output (HO). Aquarium T5's will usually if not always be HO and domestic T5's are usually LO. Both are 5/8" (16mm) diameter and easy to spot as they are much thinner. You can not swap these around, eg you can't use a HO tube in a LO fitting.

If you're after plant T8's or HO T5's then AoA can supply you with reputable tubes.

Yeah, I thought of converting to LED, it's still to costly for me.

So here's a pic of my DIY, the tubes came from Petbarn, on special for $15 ea. (am I allowed to say this?)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41676[/ATTACH]

You can of course opt for the double fixture, but I have timers on mine.

If you want stronger light, aluminium foil makes an excellent reflector.

Edited by bluebelle

If you want to do it on the cheap, use those stick on strips of leds, that you can buy online or at bunnings or ALDi. IF you want to do it the expensive way you go to Jcar and buy all the components you need and build a system from there. There is a thread on it somewhere on the site just recently. My daphnia tank I just got an old hood, ripped the guts out of it and added the strips of leds. Too easy. Going to do it the proper waywhen I have my rack set up.

I wouldn't have thought the leds from Aldi or Bunnings produced enough light for any plants

Dunno, ask Betta he has been using them for longer than I have. I am only trialing it, on a daphnia tank where plants are of no concern.

This thread will be more instructive.

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/aquarium-projects-diy-journals-11/anyone-done-their-own-diy-l-e-d-lighting-99050/

T8 chuck in a Sylvania Gro-lux

Growlux is one of the worst out there in T8s - There T5HOs are not much better .

NECs are the best T8 I have found if Aq. r.us still have them - Bunnings used to stock them in 24 and 48 inch only .

If you can't find them also from bunnings - they have T8 daylight 6500k tube in 24 and 48 and they are cheap good if you are on a tight budget

Growlux is one of the worst out there in T8s - There T5HOs are not much better .

NECs are the best T8 I have found if Aq. r.us still have them - Bunnings used to stock them in 24 and 48 inch only .

If you can't find them also from bunnings - they have T8 daylight 6500k tube in 24 and 48 and they are cheap good if you are on a tight budget

Gro-lux were always the benchmark tube. For a very long time there really wasn't any other tube worth considering but fortunately there are a few good ones around these days.

I can only speak from my experience but i haven't come across another T8 that will perform as well on a variety of plants. In the T5's however i found that they promote brown algae growth if used alone and worked much better in combination with something further up the red scale.

Tubes will not burn out for years, but the spectrum changes. That is not visible to our eyes, but the plants certainly notice.

I find it best to change for new ones every 12 months.

I also write the date on the little metal bit on the end of the tube, can't rely on memory, lol.

And beencees has a point with the T5, I know of people who have switched back

preferring T8 .

Edited by bluebelle

T5 ho life expectancy varies some of the cheap tube are lucky to last 15months and take the ballasts with them when they blow . hagen tubes las about a yaer or so then begin to dull very quickly . Giesmann (spelling ?) last about 18 months before they noticeably become duller . SunSun tubes last somewhere between 2 days and a year almost allways taking out the ballast when they blow ( to be seriosly avoided ).

T8s just degrade slowly fom the first day till they eventually become unuseable sometimes blowing od getting to where they flicker on and off . These should be replaced at 12 to 18 month intervals - so far the most proven reliable light source out there . not the most efficient not really suited for plant tanks or reef tanks but for everything else been doing the job for the last half Century .

Led light are a bit of an unknown as yet but they are showing promise

Gro-lux were always the benchmark tube. For a very long time there really wasn't any other tube worth considering but fortunately there are a few good ones around these days.

I can only speak from my experience but i haven't come across another T8 that will perform as well on a variety of plants. In the T5's however i found that they promote brown algae growth if used alone and worked much better in combination with something further up the red scale.

Before I got into t5s I used mostly just Daylight tubes but allways a triphosfor tube .

I have very recently completely stopped growing plants and sold up my T5s ( they are rediculously expensive to run ) and gone back to basic tanks . A $1500 powerbill did the trick ! I just can't afford to grow plants under artificial light anymore .

A T5 LO will use less than a T8 but a T5 HO uses more, eg a 4' T8 will use maybe 36W whereas the equivelant T5HO will use 54W and T5LO about 28W

Generally a decent tube should last 6-9 months before it's efficiency for plant growth wanes. It's important to note that to the human eye it may not look any different and could still appear bright but it will be producing alot less light in the blue and red spectrums which is what plants need. We see in the green spectrum so don't notice the change but if you watch your plants you will know when it's time to replace tubes.

As others have said, rule of thumb would be 9-12 months for tube replacement.

Edited by beencees

Before I got into t5s I used mostly just Daylight tubes but allways a triphosfor tube .

I have very recently completely stopped growing plants and sold up my T5s ( they are rediculously expensive to run ) and gone back to basic tanks . A $1500 powerbill did the trick ! I just can't afford to grow plants under artificial light anymore .

Just wondering what sort of plants you were trying to grow?

I find plants growing like crazy with minimal light, you just have to pick the right ones.