cichlidgurl

dont think these are johanni

Definitely not johanni. They could well be interruptus.

I'm beginning to think we don't actually have johanni in Australia at all.

good call Matt; common johanni have been around for decades , but the ones to get back then were the Likoma island. After seeing how the fish really look in the wild, it's difficult to accept most mbuna here as true breeds unless you know the lineage etc. makes for a pretty display anyhow

i knew they weren't johanni when he started turning blue cuz i have a male that is definitely johanni

[ATTACH]41655[/ATTACH]

That's not a johanni either.

It's quite obvious to me.

Johanni males look very similar to your maingano, except the females are orange/yellow.

The vertical bars on the fish above are a dead giveaway.

Both of the photos above are johanni. They are from two of the three locations where johanni are found. As you can see there is not much variance between each location.

Many years ago there was one population of interruptus that was given the provisional name of Pseudotropheus (was Melanochromis at the time) sp. 'johanni eastern' and I think this is where the confusion stems from. I would guess that over the years a few aquarists have mixed them up which is why we now have this situation where pure johanni are nowhere to be found.

I would love to see anyone in Australia with a picture of there OWN johanni that the male looks like a maingano and yellow females

yes that would be nice will have to wait and see what the male that is changing colour will look like

I think Steveandjules have some Johanni (the real deal, not the interruptus that gets sold as Johanni at many places). When I was over their place last time I remember talking to Steve about it, but don't remember if he actually had some or just helped me identify mine as interruptus.

Cheers

thanks [MENTION=8288]wraith[/MENTION], but sadly my males have now coloured up and don't look like the pics above that matt posted, they are different to the inturuptus but not exactly like the ones you find on google, so i too am hoping somebody will post up a photo of their male johanni that looks like these photos above,

Ive got 3 males johannii and 1 looks liket these sort of and the other two have a sort of checkered sort of pattern dont know how to post pictures ththough

I have some Johanni, and i believe the 1 @chiclidgurl has is a Johanni also, I have the same males an the yellow females plus if you click on this link... looks pretty similiar to me(Top row, middle) .. African - Cichlids - Freshwater

Will try to up upload some pics.. wont let me on my phone can txt them :)

The problem is the the fish that are sold as johanni in Australia, are almost all interruptus. So [MENTION=9247]cichlidgurl[/MENTION], the picture of your definite johanni, is a definite 'aussie johanni", or interruptus.

[MENTION=11610]kat393[/MENTION] again that is the "aussie johanni" that is being sold.

i have to agree with you [MENTION=231]gingerbeer[/MENTION] , 99% of the johanni sold are really interuptus or interuptus x johanni,

[MENTION=11610]kat393[/MENTION] my brother bought his "johanni" from livefish and he still has them, sadly they turned out like an interuptus, i got a few from him when i was visiting him, i now have some more that were bought as johanni, sadly i don't think they are real ones either,

i think we need to just accept we have as ginger says "aussie johanni"

photo of a young johanni male i bought from here, these were bought as 3 to 4 cm fry, this was the first male to colour up, he has changed slightly, but still has the vertical stripes,

post-4423-14711630196528_thumb.jpg