mickd

cherry shrimps just sitting around?

hi all

new to keeping shrimps so don't give me a hard time lol

I've just started a tank just for the cherry shrimps ive put 12 in there atm,temp set to 25 but yesterday set it to 27 thinking it might be too cold,checked the water and all is good, loads of filtration,live plants etc, when i first put them in they were all over the place having a good look around but for the past few days there just sitting around doing nothing and hardly moving is this normal? any info for a newbie would be a great help

thanks mick

Edited by mickd

I never use any heaters on my cherry shrimp, those things can live in a bucket in a tin garden shed through summer or winter and still survive. I even keep them in a fish bowl without filtration and a pair of Endler Guppy's in that bowl also and they are breeding and living happy with out any climate control or filtration other than natural temp changes and water changes.

Red cherries are tough as nail but I have to agree with the masses & say the temp is too high. Shrimp don't like temps higher than about 23°-24°, that's not to say that red cherries won't live in higher temp, I've had them survive a hot day where the tank temp went up to 29°, they just won't be very happy about it, lol. Shrimp are much more comfortable in lower temps & are more likely to enjoy the lower temps than high temps. Also, shrimp aren't incredibly active & don't go running around the tank all day, most of the time they will be quite content to just plod along picking at the surface of whatever they are on, munching away on the bacteria or detritus. In saying that, the males will go mental when a saddled female moults & is ready to breed, they will be zooming around the tank like someone just told a fat kid there's free cupcakes if he can find them, lol. :egrin: