skemshead

Water changes and ph.

Hi everyone.

I have acquired a 200ltr plastic drum used for transporting food ( eg honey etc ) which has

supposedly been professionally cleaned. The smell is far from ideal but should disappear once I have

aired it out for a week or two.

My intention is to use this to allow for more regular and convenient water changes.

I half filled the drum with water and tested the water with the seneye device to measure ammonia

and ph. Ammonia was almost 0, however the ph was 8.7 ( rainwater - normally about 7.7 ) which then

proceeded to drop to 7.7 over the course of 12 hrs. When I add salt It raises to about 8.2.

My question is : if I have added prime and the water stabilizes ph at around 8.2 could I be relatively

safe to add water to tank. I have used this water before but am unsure why the ph starts high then

drops. Also would I be better off buying a second tank to act as storage and just forget about plastic

tanks altogether.

I have a 400ltr saltwater tank with chromis, clowns, a hawkfish and dwarf angel.

Stuart

Edited by skemshead

Rainwater should be neutral at around 7.0 and should include a little nitrate, which is naturally found in rainwater as it falls from the sky, not later on once a cycle has done its bit in the rainwater tank.

I don’t understand what you are saying, do you mean you got some rain water and that was of a high PH and then it went down, if so you may have the rain water in concrete or it ran over concrete like roof tiles or what ever and residue is in the rainwater tank, these raise PH while the water is in the tank, when you remove the water the PH drops, concrete contains lime and it is of positive ions, so up goes the PH!

If that is what you mean.

Reef salt raises PH due to the additives and salt naturally raises it anyway.

Plastic containers are fine, what they may leach is nothing to worry about, if they are food grade.

PH in stored water is all over the place, don’t worry about it, just always PH buff your display tank after you do any water changes and do this gently!!!!

PH buffer can disrupt the fishes gill PH, but if it is added a bit at a time over an hour or two, it will save your tanks PH nicely from the disrupting water changes.

No matter what you do or how you prepare your water change water, there is no such thing as an none destabilising water change, they will always upset your display tanks PH, but its of no concern!!!!

Plus if your water is seriously disturbed as with violent motions, this type of action stabilises PH with out anything else being done.

I have a dry section to account for PH and no matter what, it works far better then any other way!

A skimmer makes a little violent motion though very weak, water breaking the surface does even better, water splashing in your sump does even better again, and you get my drift?

Edited by liquidg