Anthony93

Types of temperature monitors everyone uses

Cheap eBay ones from China.

Work well for me, they're reasonably accurate and cheap at $2ea delivered.

post-7863-14711630115256_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/350828089505?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I bought 5 originally and have another 8 on order which should arrive next week.

Edited by Kaizen088

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41790[/ATTACH]

ebay for these though i do have a couple here spare

That's a temp controller, I have one of those hooked up to my chiller and heater.

They work well and can be calibrated which is a plus...

Mine cost $18 dollars and am very happy with it.

They are also a good form of insurance to prevent heaters that get a thermostat stuck and cook the tank.

search digital temperature controller they do need wiring and u can hook your heater to them so it will run the heater to an exact temp with a variance of xxx deg b4 turning it back on

with mine its set to 26 and at 25,5 it turns the heater back on

Sounds ok what is your price to sell? How many heaters can you attach?

Well that's alright aye. And anyone had any problems as yet of not keeping the accurate temp?

Never, have been running a chiller and 300W heater off it for 12 months without a problem.

Good thing about running one of these with a chiller is that if I want to induce spawning I just set the temp a couple of degrees colder and will get a spawn (Bristlenose) overnight.

Mine is set with a 0.5 degree variance so the hottest the temp ever gets is 28 deg and the coolest is 27 deg. Keeps water temps stable and fish happy.

That's a temp controller, I have one of those hooked up to my chiller and heater.

They work well and can be calibrated which is a plus...

Mine cost $18 dollars and am very happy with it.

They are also a good form of insurance to prevent heaters that get a thermostat stuck and cook the tank

$18 Cosider me Gobsmacked

Never, have been running a chiller and 300W heater off it for 12 months without a problem.

Good thing about running one of these with a chiller is that if I want to induce spawning I just set the temp a couple of degrees colder and will get a spawn (Bristlenose) overnight.

Mine is set with a 0.5 degree variance so the hottest the temp ever gets is 28 deg and the coolest is 27 deg. Keeps water temps stable and fish happy.

Not sure what a chiller is sorry. Still new and learning about this stuff lol where can you get these from pickup for what price?

And is it hard to wire everything up.

Chillers are generally used on marine tanks, they are like an airconditioner with a tube going through it that has tank water flowing in and out of it. The chiller will cool the water to whatever temp you set it at. The controllers aren't hard to wire up but you have to know what you are doing (240vAC kills!!). I can make up a box for you that will mount the controller and have two power points, one for heating and one for cooling. PM me if the need arises and I'll get it sorted for you at cost.

Chillers are generally used on marine tanks, they are like an airconditioner with a tube going through it that has tank water flowing in and out of it. The chiller will cool the water to whatever temp you set it at. The controllers aren't hard to wire up but you have to know what you are doing (240vAC kills!!). I can make up a box for you that will mount the controller and have two power points, one for heating and one for cooling. PM me if the need arises and I'll get it sorted for you at cost.

Thanks for that ill get back to you later about it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41790[/ATTACH]

ebay for these though i do have a couple here spare

I have one of these on a home made quail/finch egg incubator which works well.

Your thermometer doesn't really need to be accurate, it just has to be consistent. It won't matter if it reads 27 degrees when it is 28 degrees as long as it reads 18 degrees when it is 19 degrees because your fish will never know. If you are buying a few thermometers then just check they are all reading similar to each other when you pick them up.

I have one of these on a home made quail/finch egg incubator which works well.

Your thermometer doesn't really need to be accurate, it just has to be consistent. It won't matter if it reads 27 degrees when it is 28 degrees as long as it reads 18 degrees when it is 19 degrees because your fish will never know. If you are buying a few thermometers then just check they are all reading similar to each other when you pick them up.

Gonna have to disagree, does it matter if it reads 25 degrees when its actually 29 degrees and you're running a marine tank with corals etc? When does it become a problem? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 degrees? I want to know what the correct temp is so I can ensure the correct conditions for the fish I keep.