fifihoy

Filter suitability

Volts,freq, and power, dimensions and weight, mean nothing. It's only the lt/hrs that's of any intetest. The wattage is more for you to see how much the filter is useing and will cost you in the power bill.

That filter will only filter maybe 4x's an hour so it depends on what and how many fish r in the tank.

Its not a good sign when a product doesnt have a name or model number.

800LPH is decent amount of flow, but if its small then you cant fit more media in it.

Then look at the media that comes with it, are you going to have to buy more.

And lastly of course, the postage! Cannisters are bulky items and aint normally cheap to deliver.

But yea the fact its a nameless filter means you cant google peoples reviews or find parts for.

Label says Hopar Kf-2800

Might be safer to see if there's some for sale at the auction.

Maybe try call some lfs and see if they have spare parts for the Hopar Kf-2800, eg orings or impellors?

This aint a big deal while the filters working, but if it starts leaking or loses flow......... you want to be able to get it working again quickly.

This is after all the life support machine for your fish.

Hey Donny, I popped by on Sunday and saw you briefly. What price am I looking at to get what's needed for my 150ltr tank? I'm slowly getting the pieces together and got the cold water practice tank. So a canister filter and just a basic heater, including all the tubes and I think it's called media??? Such a beginner. Maybe someone out there has a dummys guide to tropical fish tank setup and requirements hahahaha.

I would still get an internal filter and use that as a polishing filter - sucking up uneaten food, plant bits, fish poo ect esp if u go a cheaper Chinese filter- even a Eheim or fluval, as it'll save wear n' tear on the impeller and the filter will last longer. When the flow slows down you can clean it out under the tap coz the bacteria will be in the ext canister filter.

I would still get an internal filter and use that as a polishing filter - sucking up uneaten food, plant bits, fish poo ect esp if u go a cheaper Chinese filter- even a Eheim or fluval, as it'll save wear n' tear on the impeller and the filter will last longer. When the flow slows down you can clean it out under the tap coz the bacteria will be in the ext canister filter.

Thank you! This might sound dumb to the experienced fish folk but do you mean have both? I found a canister filter with Age of Aquariums online, as they are nearby for me, and it will cost $100 a pretty much. But would you get like a internal filter too?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Hey Donny, I popped by on Sunday and saw you briefly. What price am I looking at to get what's needed for my 150ltr tank? I'm slowly getting the pieces together and got the cold water practice tank. So a canister filter and just a basic heater, including all the tubes and I think it's called media??? Such a beginner. Maybe someone out there has a dummys guide to tropical fish tank setup and requirements hahahaha.

So very many options!

The more you can tell us about what you would like for a finished aquarium........ the better we can help you purchase suitable equipment.

:D

So very many options!

The more you can tell us about what you would like for a finished aquarium........ the better we can help you purchase suitable equipment.

:D

Hmmmm well in regards to fish I don't want to be spending anymore than $20 a fish. I love colour! If I could have my own mini Ningaloo Reef I would, but that's not possible haha. Is that the type of answer you're looking for? hahaha it's like asking someone what car they want and they say 'a red one'

African Malawi lake cichlids?

Asian biotype of loaches, rasbora and gourami?

Stuff like that.

The more specific you are, the more we can work out what the fish will like.

Some prefer more flow, others less.

Your colleague said cichlids are pretty resilient so maybe that'll do for now. But a reef would be fantastic lol

Cichlids are certainly resilient, luckily they are also varied.

So theres hundreds to choose from. Unfortunately not all of them get on with each other.

But there in lies the fun, picking out a stock list that can live as a family.... well a family that doesnt randomly murder each other anyway.

If we treat this as a freshwater tank to play with and learn the ropes....... then we can set it up as a marine tank, only filled with freshwater.

That way if you would like to go salt later on...... you can sell the fish, drain the tank, refill with salt water, and begin cycling your new marine tank.

Now you mentioned a reef tank, and I said marine tank.

And by that I meant saltwater fish and some inverts. To do full reef I would reccomend a sumped setup.

Reefs require more equipment usually so its nice to be able to hide it all away in a sump.

Marine fish by contrast can often be kept very well using the same sort of equipment you would use on many cichlid tanks.

So.... getting back to cichlids, to setup their tank is much cheaper than a reef.

Much of the cost will come down to the decor you choose.

And of course the cannister filter.

Its a signifigant purchase, and not something you want to buy twice if you can at all avoid.

An aquael or eheim might last you a decade..... but an aquanova is $99 and gets the job done.

Choices choices