msc0433

Has anyone let their frontosa hold full term ?

Hi people I am letting my fronty hold full term in a separate tank from the colony. I caught a glimpse of a heap of eggs it released then picked them back up when I shone the torch on her. There would have been a good 30 big eggs it picked back up. Would she naturally swallow afew over the coming weeks as the eggs hatched and if so what is the average mouthfull of fully developed babies that a 15cm female would hold full term. Thanks in advance. Mark

Great stuff Mark, good for you on letting her hold. You might be lucky and she keeps near all, can only say if she is happy, then she should hold.

I have taken 60 odd eggs from a 12cm burundi when she spawned solo ( no one willing to part with males that time let alone have adults). Next round, pulled out some 28 f/s beaut mini-mees. This was after a good three weeks brooding. She obv had a smaller mouthful than the first. One thing that was really noticeable and nice to see were the sparkling eyes as they develop & lose the egg sac. Whether she eats any can depend on her conditioning and if the male has done his job properly, if she is not happy or feels disturbed; it's not called brooding by coincidence lol

Got me into taking fish pics and my first write up in the club mag. Subsequent spawns from different fronnies, I have taken much earlier, but it is good to see the behaviour and colours when going full or near full term :)

Great buzz for a high school kid back then ;) even more of a buzz when u raise the fry to adults and breed them successfully plus see the ones you have spread around do the same. That's what species maintenance is about, takes a while with fronnies lol

had a nice surprise the other day with the heat and thunder...... funny, when u put a camera up everyone wants to be part of it ! - cameos lol
shame female k7 ate them after day 2, I like a natural tank, but could do with cleaning the filter lol

hi just a quick update that i let the female hold for 15 - 16 days and striped as wanted to feed her and was unsure if they can eat and hold. got about 15 babies out of her and put in a frysaver .

also striped anotherone at the same time that was holding for 5-6 days and got bout 40 eggs which i put in a tumbler but a bloody albino bristlenose sucked the eggs through the bottom of the tumbler so if anyone is interested in buying a albino bristlenose @5-6cm for $600 let me know as thats what it ate in caviar :( Here is a pic of the babies which are real friendly with there tank mates

post-1266-14711630238532_thumb.jpg