Shanoz

Who keeps or has kept Desert Goby's (Chlamydogobius eremius) in a Community tank??

I don't have one of those, I'd like toooo...but I have bumblebees gobbies....easy to feed but bloody nasty to other fuah who get in their terroity...

Bumble Bee's stay reasonably small too, these guys get to the 6-8cm mark, I have heard they are very dominant when breeding and that they can feed on anything that fits into their mouth but I am not 100% on truth of it all, I have been offered some to buy and i am considering it but I would love to see what other people have found on their Goby's that they have kept.

Absolute beautiful tank shannon!!!

Thanks guys............ Yeah i did hear they were good escape artist also, but being that i had a tank that they might like, with waterfalls, lilly's to sit on and plenty of rocks and caves to hide in, I thought they might work. I dare say this same person from ANGFA is the person offering some fish for me to buy.......... hmmmm!?!?! :peep:

I have kept them with guppies, neon tetras, 2 male fighters and discus among other fish in a 6ft tank and had no problems with them. I do recommend placing the caves in a place where you can see them though.

They also are quite easy to breed as long as they are well fed, on that note I generally go with the rule that anything that fits within another fishes mouth is likely to be eaten but for these guys that means anything around the 1cm mark including baby shrimp.

I definitely recommend getting some and they are hardy as hell.

Thanks guys, there is a tonne of cherry shrimp in there for food as well as a cleaning team, there is four halfbeaks in there, two otto's and 13 odd spotted blue eyes. So yeah, my main concern is the blue eye babies (if I ever get any) but it would be awesome to come to my tank and see some Goby's climbing the waterfall or what not. So yeah, that's what they would be up against!

Edited by Shanoz

To really thrive long term Desert Gobies need hard water and the addition of salt: that limits the plant species. Bacopa, Vall and other hardy salt tolerant species excepted. To clarify - if all your gobies are sitting just out of the water on the side of the tank just above the water level that tells you there is a water quality issue. Fix the water issue and they will gladly go back in the water. Gobies in a way are like Canaries - they will show you a water quality problem. If they don't try and leave the water you will see what looks like an internal fungus - if you see that take action quickly! They do not like Nitrite and Ammonia nor soft nor acid water. They will eat anything they can fit into their mouth. That means Gertrudae and small shrimps will be a quick meal. A large goby will eat a small goby. They (like all native gobies) are territorial and the tank needs to be set up to accomodate this. Oh yeah should mention - been breeding native gobies for years - hope this helps.

Edited by none