jcumpstay

Thoughts on this sump design?

Thinking of copying this design as a sump for my 8ft display tank which is currently on order.

Interested in comments good/bad. main purpose would be to have a heap of mechanical / biological filtration with polishing done via canister stacked with chemi-pure / macropore.

post-11165-14711630131532_thumb.jpg

I'd be a bit cautious about the volume in the final section. It might be enough for a single tank, but then again it might now be.

The biggest mistake I see people make with sumps is devoting too much room to media and not enough volume for the sump itself.

Would do the mechanical filtration different - Jap Mat - Course Sponge - Fine Sponge - Filter Wool other wise you will just be replacing the wool a lot more often / more expensive with it being at the top catching close to everything rather than the finer particles missed by Jap Mat and Sponge with those ones above it catching the larger particles.

You could get away with not connecting a canister just for the macropore / chemipure - save the power and the equipment and stack the macropore / chemipure along the bottom part of the chamber where the water has to pass through it to the next chamber.

Keep in mind too the bio media whilst it may be good to have a lot you can also get a lot out of a little you just have to do a little homework on that one and balance up the cost of a lot that is cheap and a little that costs a bit more but does a better job and it would let you have a larger section at the end too.