noddy

Leptosoma wastage

Hi All,

I posted a photo of a lepto the other day and was told to start treating with metro due to the pink in the gills. I was told that it looked like early signs of wastage. What is everyone's experience in with wastage. All fish are still eating (if fact I now have a second mouthful) but if it is in fact wastage I'd like to get onto it asap. I did previously lose a pair of wild caught gobies in that tank that had red gills. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all at zero. Other tankmates are L. meleagris and 2 bristles. If metro is the go what dosage rate should I use?

post-429-14711630138168_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance

Trav

Edited by noddy

My usual method is to let it take the course, lose like 50%-100% of the fish... whatever is the survivors is what you're left with but then the ones left over you know are good and healthy fish...

But I'm sure other people might do things differently

If they're eating then that's a good sign, I try using live baby brine shrimp which gets them eating again but if they're not eating then it's probably too late

I reckon someone should do research as to why they stop eating due to whatever causes wastings disease

Good news Trav, they have grown pretty quickly!

I had a wasting issue many years ago and lost a few but got them back on track by feeding them with pellets soaked in garlic.

I have since done a bit of research on wasting and have found that most Northern European leptosoma keepers have never even heard of wasting. Their tap water is extremely hard and has a high ph. They also have cool weather all year round.

I haven't had wasting in 5 years so I haven't been able to experiment more with the garlic theory but I keep all my lepto tanks at ph 8.8+ And try to keep the temp under 28 degrees through summer. 3 mouthfuls of albino kitumba this week says it's not doing them harm ;)

i found it effected females the most, and usually after their first mouthful, they just don't recover, or eat properly again.

I have tried treating with metro and as for worms, and multicure etc, brine shrimp is the best temptation, but usually once it starts its over.. lost about 3 colonies all up to wasting, kinda devastated me, ending up with banana shaped leptos. It why I have never bought leptos again, But i really like them..