jcumpstay

Jacob's 8 x 2.5 x 2.5 Display Build

So i am a long time fish enthusiast but have been away for the hobby for more than 10 years.

My girlfriend's sister recently set up a 3ft Malawi display and upon each subsequent visit i got more and more jealous. The time has now come to re-enter the world of fish keeping and get an 8ft display tank up and running in the living room.

I started on the cabinet a few weeks ago. Some progress pics below:

The beginning...

frp7.jpg

The frame starts to come together

uh7d.jpg

s7ev.jpg

Hanging the doors

orob.jpg

1wd6.jpg

Starting look like a piece of furniture

wlft.jpg

The staining test

xlzk.jpg

The painting begins

9tef.jpg

So another weekend or two and the cabinet should be complete :-)

I have ordered the tank and sump (G&J Maher) and now it's time to sort out pumps, media, aquascaping, substrate, etc etc.

Being that i have been away from the hobby for quite some time i will no doubt have some questions for all you knowledgeable folk out there so watch this space...

Picked up the first of the fish that will soon make this upcoming tank their home. These five little guys are staying in a friends tank until mine arrives and has cycled.

Ikola Frontosa

ovg9.jpg

wtv6.jpg

Weekend Update

Still about two weeks until the tank is done and the cabinet should be ready to move inside next weekend.

Today it was carpeting, electrical and another coat of Wenge stain/sealer. Overall i'm pretty stoked at how this is turning out. Now thinking about mounting some LED strip lights inside with push button that activates when the doors are opened. Can anyone else share some thoughts on whether a light to illuminate the sump & accessories would be worthwhile?

Purchased a few sheets of egg crate to lay on the bottom of the tank

aybc.jpg

Got the marine carpet installed to help dampen any vibrations

6xt0.jpg

kjfr.jpg

A start on the electrical

je5f.jpg

hopefully the final coat of Wenge stain

2my7.jpg

Hopefully some more updates next weekend...

Lights under the stand would be good idea for when ur doing matinance and to help spot any leaks, touch wood.

Cheers Lictoga that's some good advice. Just ordered some LED strip lights and reed switches so i should have plenty of light under there. Hopefully it wont be needed to spot any leaks anytime soon :).

Update time.

I spend the weekend finishing off the electrical within the cabinet, swinging the doors and finally moving the lump of a thing inside to its final destination.

I wired up proximity switches on each of the front cabinet doors so that 2 x 500mm strip LED lights will activate within each bay once the doors to that bay are opened. Tested to make sure everything works with some old LED downlights while i await delivery of the strip lights.

Once the tank arrives, i will finish off the final timber fascia around the top of the cabinet, then i can see that the Xmas holidays will be spent building the hood to hide the lights etc.

A few pics below to show progress:

Following the final coat of stain

ar8l.jpg

The LED driver

ltq9.jpg

The tank light transformers

mnfw.jpg

In its final resting place

0h21.jpg

A big thanks to JayPee for sending down the vinyl which i will use for the back of the tank. It will be my first time applying vinyl so i hope it comes up well.

I'll also be picking up a colony of Tropheus Lufubu fry from Trofius on Friday. Can't wait to get these guys home and settled in, although they wont be going in this display tank. I have something else reserved for those guys ;-)

Edited by jcumpstay

So while i haven't updated this thread for a while, i haven't been slacking off. The Xmas holidays has afforded me some time to pretty much complete the tank, filtration and cabinet. I will let the below pics do the talking:

Filtration running, cabinet just waiting for finishing fascia and grill and then some tidying up underneath.

uzp7.jpg

under cabinet LED lighting and exhaust fans working a charm. Finally sorted out my K1 chamber and achieved a nice smooth tumbling action too. I think it's all got to do with the media maturing.

I went to town on the filtration for this setup with 2xFX6 canisters and a sump. As a display, i'm trying to minimise visible muck on the bottom of the tank. the Tunze powerheads also really help in this regard to have a constant flow of water within the tank.

7uwq.jpg

Cabinet finished all but the last piece of fascia which should go on later today. Love the sleek modern look.

sy8c.jpg

~50 fish (mostly Mbuna) added so far and there's still HEAPS of room in this monster.

ciz0.jpg

Now to think about the best way to hide the pipes etc within the weir. Thinking about covering this with some blue or black acrylic.

So while i haven't updated this thread for a while, i haven't been slacking off. The Xmas holidays has afforded me some time to pretty much complete the tank, filtration and cabinet. I will let the below pics do the talking:

Filtration running, cabinet just waiting for finishing fascia and grill and then some tidying up underneath.

uzp7.jpg

under cabinet LED lighting and exhaust fans working a charm. Finally sorted out my K1 chamber and achieved a nice smooth tumbling action too. I think it's all got to do with the media maturing.

I went to town on the filtration for this setup with 2xFX6 canisters and a sump. As a display, i'm trying to minimise visible muck on the bottom of the tank. the Tunze powerheads also really help in this regard to have a constant flow of water within the tank.

7uwq.jpg

Cabinet finished all but the last piece of fascia which should go on later today. Love the sleek modern look.

sy8c.jpg

~50 fish (mostly Mbuna) added so far and there's still HEAPS of room in this monster.

ciz0.jpg

Now to think about the best way to hide the pipes etc within the weir. Thinking about covering this with some blue or black acrylic.

I used black color backed glass on my weir and fixed it into place with black 999a, looks pretty sweet

Which side of weir did you stick it? Inside or outside?

On the outside mate, had acrylic on the weir when I got it that wasn't shiny and lifting in places cause acrylic and silicon don't bond well.

For the wier if u wanna hide it. Use foamex. Perspex and acrylic dont bond well with silicone. Where foamex does. Local suppliers should be able to cut to size and even cut the comb into it if need. Looks great.

For the wier if u wanna hide it. Use foamex. Perspex and acrylic dont bond well with silicone. Where foamex does. Local suppliers should be able to cut to size and even cut the comb into it if need. Looks great.

Any idea on Foamex distributors in Brisbane?

mate, looking good and great attention to detail in all aspects............... taking plenty pics here in kuala lumpar Malaysia, plenty full sized tanks here. arrived Singapore today and have

plenty more new ideas for future builds...................

:beer: mike