Nafe420

2217 or 406

Hi

Need some quick advice please.

I'm taking my fx5 off my 4x2x2 to put on my 6x2x2.

So I'm wondering what would be a better replacement between an eheim 2217 classic or a fluval 406. I'm aware of all the specs but prefer experience over specs.

Its a 380lt tank and it's not going to be heavily stocked but will have 5-10 bristlenose species as well as other fish under 3 inches.

Thanks

2217 and a sponge filter would work great! Not only you'll get plenty of filtration but the air sponge will aerate your water and give you plenty of water surface movement to keep your fish happy! Every one of my tanks has Canisters and Air Sponges, also a great fail-safe if your Canister stops working for some reason!

Yea I got a tunze power head today from techden to assist the fx5 so yea might throw a sponge in the 4ft but not sure about the main filter. I have a fluval 105 and like the set up and love my 2215 eheims but they take a while to pick up to normal flow rate after I clean them.

Just want to know if people would rather a 406 over a 2217.

I have 2215 on my 4x20x20 and yeah it is a little slow for a minute or two after cleaning but its works a dream and the tank is clear as clear. I have never used a 405 for I cannot comment on it but i do own an FX5 and that as you know works a treat. Bang for buck, i'd go the eheim and a sponge, easy as to get replacement parts also.

you're going to get even more confused with the choice since there are so many people who prefer one of the two brands...i'd be more concerned about not getting enough water turn over using either of those filters on their own.

i have a 4x2x2 and started with a 406 but quickly found out that it just wasnt enough so now im running a fx6 and 406 and the water is crystal clear all the time.

Thanks guys

Yea I know what you mean but I really am a fan of both brands, hence my decision dilemma.

I've read that the 406 has a more powerful flow rate and easier to clean but the 2217 has better media contact.

Like I mentioned, it isn't Going to be heavily stocked although I think the peppermints will mak up for that haha.

Going to be a tough decision I think...

no, i haven't used the 2217 before so i can't comment. also im not talking about the "claimed" flow rate that is on the side of the box. im talking about the actual water movement that comes out of the outlet...its not much (as in its not very adequate for a 4x2x2)

you can lift the outlet above water or on the same level as water and that will create some surface agitation but it still doesnt push water around much

I purchased a 2217 almost 15yrs ago and apart from replacing a worn impeller and broken impeller shaft it has never missed a beat. I now have 5 of them. Eheims are more about contact time with the media not so much flow rate. I will admit that I am bias as I have never used a fluval canister but have used the fluval internals (2 & 4) and they were fine. My understanding is that they haven't changed the design of the 2217 for 50yrs (feel free to correct me) so that shows that it is a sound design. AOA have them on special every now and then for $150 which is a bargain. When they come on special again I will probably grab another 2...

I use Fluval - 105 x2, 205 x2 , 305 x4 and Eheim 2217 x1 and 2213 x4.

I have found that each has it's strengths . On an American Cichlid tank Fluval every time - on a "Tang tank doen't matter but I still use Fluvals . on a plant tank with small schooling fish Dwarf cichlids Angels or Discus - Eheim all the way .

On my Rainbow tanks - mostly just air powered sponges or Aquaclear hangons although I have had issues with some Rainbows jumping with Aquaclears .

Aquaclears and sponges are ugly but do a good job - Fluvals and Eheims less so with the Eheim easiest to disguise .

So I went with the fluval 406 cos a nice guy sold me that and a 206 for $180 which I thought was a pretty good deal for 2 x 6 month old filters.

Going to put the 406 on the 4x2x2 with an eheim 2010 down below the outlet. See how it goes for a few months and if no good I'll put the fx5 back on it when I buy an eheim 2080 for my 6x2x2 planted tank.

As I mentioned I really do like both brands of filter, I already have 2 x 2215s that work great but thought I'd give the fluval 06 range a shot as I was all for eheim until I owned an FX5.

Will let you know the outcome and thankyou all for your feedback. Much appreciated!

Nathan