We have a scheduled "planned electricity interruption - 8hrs" next week. I dont have a generator and my old battery airpumps are flat out on battery. I was thinking of getting some fresh batteries but saw this unit for $40 each. I needed something from the online shop so decided to get them as well. Ive connected the battery and now charging. Its a bit noisy though, but i can live with it. Battery is not connected so i have to look/open it to see where the battery is. I then realized it was accessible from the front cover and didnt have to use my screw driver to open the set.

Anyone using these and your experience? The box says it can last 8hrs but i need still to test that.

post-916-14711630143417_thumb.jpg

post-916-14711630143571_thumb.jpg

post-916-14711630143726_thumb.jpg

post-916-14711630143956_thumb.jpg

post-916-14711630144118_thumb.jpg

Costwise, i think it is better than

1. buying a new 6volt battery for my old pumps

2. buying a "d" type battery pump

Its a bit bulky and heavy though to carry when transporting fish. The good thing about this is it switches on automatically to DC when power is out. My old pumps lasted 3 hrs the last time i did a dry run, hopefully this new set can meet the expectations being set in the box.

Good to be prepared but an 8 hour outage is not really worth worrying about and if you have a heavily stocked tank, a plastic bowl to stir and turn your tank over once every 30 minutes will also do. Or if your lazy then set up a 20L bucket above your tank on slow siphon (to bottom of tank) and reset every few hours as needed will also suffice.

Yes, I was considering that [MENTION=5547]Nobody[/MENTION] trav. price did set me off to look for alternative.

Just an update. I have done a dry run simulation. one unit lasted 1 hour and one is still going and going. The good one is now at its 5th hour. I'm just hoping the other one will be covered by warranty.

8th hour update.

the good one is still humming but noticed a reduction on the air being pumped out. For everyone's info, the pump runs intermittently - 1 minute off (still humming) 1 minute pumping air. I think that's the reason why it can last longer as the circuit board seems to put the unit on a sleep mode every other minute.

for the other one I'll give it a good charging. I have contacted the seller and was advised that it could be just the battery not being charged well (different factory charging). they recommend 36 hours before simulating a power cut off.

Overall, for $40 this is worth the money and with this and buying a regular 2 outlet airpump, this will be better choice because of the ac/dc switch capabaility - more of an insurance for those unexpected black outs especially if you're not around. You can also use it while transporting fsh.

Happy and satisfied with the unit and it meets the expectations it set in the box.