HannibalsMum

Hydra in my bristle nose breeding tank...

I have found hydra in my bristle nose breeding tank. I know this is bad stuff to have so how can I get rid of it?

I know I have to add salt to the tank ( worked out that there is 113L) but I'm not 100% on adding 113g, it looks like a lot to add in one hit with fish still in the tank... fry mostly. ( or those that have escaped the hydra)

I was given this site to work off. How to Get Rid of Hydra in Your Tank | eHow

I go have gourami but didn't want to add them to the tank. I also have a large log with an anubus on it that I can't boils due not having anything to boil it in. ( was told the only was to guarantee its gone, boil everything with salt that can be an wash the tank with salt. get rid of anything that can't be boiled)

I'm also wondering if there are any meds out to help combat this thing. I've only just set up a canister filter on the tank ( had that soaking with salt for a week an the media was washed in salt.) the hydra looks like it had been in for longer than a week tho.

please help as I've been trying so hard to get the tank right so my bristle nose fry can really grow an go to new homes instead of being taken down by something this nasty.

Copper sulphate kills them . Definitely not with the fish in the tank but will not do much harm to the Anubius .

Snal Rid Contains copper sulphate - use as directed . And be very careful of soft water as CUSO4 is very toxic in soft water .

Good to do your log and plant though - Can be remove when the Hydra are dead by Activated carbon .

Flubendazole. I had hydra and wanted to get rid of them, but didn't want to use copper - too harsh - so after a fair bit of research I tried flubendazole.

Fish Wormer Kusuri Wormer Plus 5G Treats UP TO 2273 Litres | eBay

That's what I used. Their dosage works well and hydra will shrivel up in under an hour. All gone in 2 or 3 days. Keep the filter going as it spreads it around. The flubendazole won't harm anything in the tank. It says it will kill snails, but none of mine died.

Good luck

Hrydra is a result of overfeeding. Panacur 25 kills it in a about 20min just a few drops will do it. If you want to worm your fish as well I think its 1ml/40litres? Search here will confirm it. May harm some shrimp but never had a problem with cherries. To much will cause juvies bristlenose at 1cm or less to roll as there gills arenot developed enough. I personally would cut back the food and see if there are any casuallities in the fry as it wont effect the larger fish or the adult shrimp or take all the fry out treat the tank do a couple of water changes to remove the cemicals and reintroduce the fry slowly back into the tank. Hyrdra is a stinging creature like a jelly fish stings its prey that is small enough to it to capture. Just some ideas

I had hydra and tried Kusuri wormer - the active ingredient flubendazole. It worked like a charm - 2 days and hydra completely gone. Didn't even kill my snails. I would recommend to keep the filter on and it spreads it around the tank. You can get it from ebay.

Check out this article http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/FlubendazoleArticle.pdf

Standard Kusuri dosing works well.

no-planaria will knock them over.

well I gave this stuff a go, it did kill the hydra but also the 3 small apple snails I had in the tank to... :/ luckily I have more I can put in. buy the looks I have it in my 3f display tanks filter ( haven't seen it in the tank itself.. but then the b/n an gourami could be keeping it down) so that is going to be the tank to get a dose when I find all of the apples.