Yodapwnsasmurf

The Dreaded Hybrid!

So I set up a 3ft Livebearer breeding tank but I fear I may have done something a little stupid?

It comprises of:

a pair of Platies (1 male, 1 female)

4 Mollies (3 males, 1 female)

1 male Swordtail

1 male Guppy

a pair of Florida Flags

a bunch of catfish/shrimp etc..

And about a trillion babies of unknown heritage.

So basically I'm asking if these species will actively hybridise without being forced too, as in they will breed with another male over their own?

Because I know that it's the female Platy and the female Molly that are giving birth to all these babies, but I cannot tell which fry belongs to which parents.

My understanding of the livebearers hybridising is that swords and platys can breed, mollies and guppies can breed and the flags should keep to themselves?

Anyway I want to sort out this confusion before I add some endlers (Obviously I'll take the guppy out) and halfbeaks.

Maybe I wouldn't mind a muppy?

hybrid_of_guppy_and_molly.jpg

You're on the money. Platies and swords cross readily, mollys and guppies can but are less likely to if partners of their own kind are present. The flags are egg laying killies so no dramas there (I've got flags here - awesome fish). Any fancy live bearers in Australia are almost guaranteed to be hybrids anyway.

I have 1 Male and Two females like the below (quiet sure they are the parents) then I have one Female that's all Silver with a slight tinge of Red in her fins but she is probably a 1/3 bigger than the others, definitely a different species as she doesn't have that vibrant gold/silver colour like the below, so I am not real sure of her type.

post-4720-14711630145276_thumb.jpg

post-4720-14711630145393_thumb.jpg

I have 1 Male and Two females like the below (quiet sure they are the parents) then I have one Female that's all Silver with a slight tinge of Red in her fins but she is probably a 1/3 bigger than the others, definitely a different species as she doesn't have that vibrant gold/silver colour like the below, so I am not real sure of her type.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42012[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42013[/ATTACH]

I love them man, let me know when you have some sellable!