gollys

LED lights for tanks with hoods

I have a 6 foot Gary Maher Tank - and it is a well planted tropical tank - would love have a LED light system - currently run a T5 system but that gets quite warm.

I have read LEDs run not quite so hot.

But so hard to find something that is long enough and will fit under a hood.

two 3 foot leds .

How many T5ho are you replacing ?

If you are replacing an 8 tube T5 or a quad t5 it is going to be VERY expensive to replace them and get the same output .And still quite a bit of heat .

With leds the heat all goes upward , not into the tank but there is still a lot of heat comes off a 160 watt ( example only ) led luminaire .

I would suggest you look into the Fluval plant leds but definitely do your research as to which ones .

Just a note - I have ordered one of The fluval plant leds from one of our sponsors but it hs not arrived yet so I have not yet aquired any first hand knowledge of them but they have favourable reviews and look good on paper - enough so that I ordered one .

two 3 foot leds .

How many T5ho are you replacing ?

If you are replacing an 8 tube T5 or a quad t5 it is going to be VERY expensive to replace them and get the same output .And still quite a bit of heat .

With leds the heat all goes upward , not into the tank but there is still a lot of heat comes off a 160 watt ( example only ) led luminaire .

I would suggest you look into the Fluval plant leds but definitely do your research as to which ones .

Just a note - I have ordered one of The fluval plant leds from one of our sponsors but it hs not arrived yet so I have not yet aquired any first hand knowledge of them but they have favourable reviews and look good on paper - enough so that I ordered one .

From memory, I have 2 x 6500 globes and 2 x 10,000 globes in my current T5 six foot light set up.

I don't think that 2 x 3 foot LED would fit under the hood by the time you take in to consideration the feet etc so maybe would have to use 1 x 3 foot & 1 x 2 foot? Wonder how that would work out.

For some reason I thought the T5 would run much hotter than the LEDs -

I do like the moonlight option though.

Currently I have 2 x coils of those on top of my tank - they are in plastic coating and you can use them in or out of the water - I just laid mine on the tank lids for awesome effect, now one is reaching the end of its life and hard to find a new one.

From memory, I have 2 x 6500 globes and 2 x 10,000 globes in my current T5 six foot light set up.

I don't think that 2 x 3 foot LED would fit under the hood by the time you take in to consideration the feet etc so maybe would have to use 1 x 3 foot & 1 x 2 foot? Wonder how that would work out.

For some reason I thought the T5 would run much hotter than the LEDs -

I do like the moonlight option though.

Currently I have 2 x coils of those on top of my tank - they are in plastic coating and you can use them in or out of the water - I just laid mine on the tank lids for awesome effect, now one is reaching the end of its life and hard to find a new one.

Not as hot but still hot,most of the big ones have fans .

Some of them are just under the 3 foot - have to work it on a case by case basis .

I have just started ( yesterday ) on a 30" display 20" deep with the Fluval I was talking about (only 8 days to go - Not that I am counting ) I started a thread in the projects about it - I just hope it doesn't flop .

There hard to final but the dalua ss-90 is a three foot led set up with moonlights. It appears to the eye to be about as bright, if not more than four t5ho tubes. The plus it stays quite cool. Only slightly warm to touch after running all day. Although, I don't have it set up under the hood.

I got a few cheep 4ft led's off ebay haha beams works brand, not bad for the price. Should fit under a normal hood,

I have 2 Beamswork 3 foot and 2 @4 foot not that good if you want to grow plants , good for fish only tank though because they grow little if any algae