Lord Lamington

Breeding not going so well

Hi,

I tried to get my bettas to spawn yesterday. I had conditioned them for a few weeks and while the female was separated from the male (but within view), she seemed quite active and keen, but when she was released she just swam away and hid. After about 18 hours, I put her back into the other tank for her to recover and came home today to find that she had released all her eggs, soon after eating them. Any ideas on how to get her to spawn with the male next time?

My advice is try try try again, if that doesn't work try another female...The betta females like to be wined , dinned and fed diamonds.....sometimes they just don't click.....life really...betta the man to ask....

Edited by tamiya

You'll probably found that you removed the female too early. I give it a minimum of 3 days before removing the female (unless injuries are quite bad - which I haven't had yet).

By conditioning, I am assuming you had them carded beforehand? I always get the best results when they're carded beforehand.

Hiding is generally normal for the female. I'd reccomend having something in the tank that would break the line of sight from the nest and allow the female to reach the surface. A piece of slate leaning against a tank wall on the opposite side of the nest helps alot. It allows the female to hide until she is ready and the male will rarely bug her.

That's just some of my rambling, it may or may not help :)

I had ok results using a handful of indian almond leaves and java fern.

Half a styrofoam cup can help a male create a super bubble nest..... and its recycling too.

So you can feel good before prob seeing fish domestic violence.

You dont always get a lot of spawns out of a female unless she can escape and hide.

So be ready to rescue.

You can also buy frozen mosquito larva these days, I have never tried with betta but it theoretically is a perfect conditioning food.

Definitely check out Betta Australis, plenty of members that reliably raise batch after batch, including many of the fancier lines.

Betta Australis