Greenfingaz

What cleaning fish will go ok with Discus fish?

Hey guys.

First port on this forum. We have recently set up a 300l freshwater aquarium which after a full cycle we would like to put 5 or 6 discus in. For tank mates we have 11 rummy nose tetras, a pair of Blue Rams and a couple of Pictus Catfish. We were just wondering if you guys could recommend or suggest some algae eaters that will get on alright with everyone else.

Any help would be great!

Seth & Manuela

Some cleaner fish produce a lot of waste.

I don't know if the pictus catfish are good choice, as they are known to eat smaller tetra species, and as they are nocturnal, can easily pick off sleeping tetras. I'd sooner keep a couple of L134 leopard frog plecos in there instead of the pictus. Or a school of corydoras. As for algae eaters, I like otocinclus and the omnivorous royal whiptails.

L134 are a good choice and fetch a good price as adults if you decide later to sell them.

Its a difficult problem though as many "algae eaters" will graze on discus flanks if they get hungry.

But if you feed them heavily, they dont eat algae and you have high waste levels to deal with.

I used to reccomend otto's and whiptails....... but recently I have watched both species graze discus.

At least discus can flick off larger catfish, ottos can be really annoying for them as they just stick.

Whiptails are not so bad, but then discus are emotional creatures and it can be the small things that make them sook.

Flying foxes are good, especially if you have anubias and driftwood.

They tend to target the hair algae that other fish ignore.

Buy them small, but not small enough to be eaten by the pictus!

Then trade them when they get large, for smaller ones.

Thanks for your replies guys. We are reading into the flying foxes now. but am unsure what will be better as i have read online that in schools they can be territorial or get one which may try and dominate the other species in the aquarium…

what do you think guys. 1 or more?