Mealsy19

Reef/marine forum

Hey guys.

Just wondering if there is a forum as good as this one but that is reef/marine only.

This forum is awesome however has limited reef items and sections.

I'm looking for something that has classifieds for livestock and equipment but also something that has knowledge based sections.

Any help is appreciated

Cheers

Its good to have a local forum for sure like this one for over all Queenslanders, but for all spot on info and completely unbiased conversations on this hobby and some really cluey people, the largest reef forum on the planet is reef central.

They can be good for selling and buying life and second hand gear semi locally, the two combined still equate to one hundredth of reef centrals info and free flowing generali sane attitude.

Spend some time on the two and don’t hold back on anything spoken by you "honestly", then you will find that time to become quite interesting,lol.

But I must admit with out these types of sites, there would be a lot more DIY and less dollars for commercial enterprises.

They are quite important for sales and shows the internet is mostly run to separate you from your money!

I don't think anyone is being bias here guys. All I was after was a bit if help regarding reef forums as I couldn't seem to find a local "ish" forum. I have since checked both forums out.

I don't think its fair that when someone puts a link up to another forum it gets taken down.

I understand guidelines as such. But if someone is asking for help on another forum and gets directed to this forum, would that be seen as a bad thing?

We are all in the same hobby and I think it's important to share info from a beginner to an expert.

I also don't think its fair on the lfs, in regards to sailing livestock and equipment. Sponsors on here sell the same products as some if the members sell. Only the members sell the products for a fraction if the price, putting the lfs to offer more discounted items.

I think that with too many guidelines and rules will end up destroying the "hobby". Well maybe not destroy it, but it will certainly deter ppl.

I understand that there is guidelines that are put in place for a reason, but really? We cNt put a link up to help someone out when there perhaps isn't enough help here?

All good points, but at least here the guidelines are up front and not at others whims.

You have some interesting times ahead for you, report back in 10 years as to how things are going and what you have learnt,I would like to read your feed back and I mean that.

Good luck with it all Mealsy19

I know I'm in for some learning and some trial and error. How ever I'm looking forward to it. I realise there are upfront guidelines but I don't think it's fair that links to other "help" is forbidden.

As I stated before, if someone needed help with rainbows for example, would it be seen as disrespectful to the other forum if somebody said " hey mate, check this forum out. Qldaf.com and chat to a guy who goes by the name of "grubby". He knows his **** and keep us informed of your progress."

I think that stuff is great for the "hobby" and the community involved.

I have spoken to a group that aren't a sponser on here to help me setup my reef venture. I'm going to use them purely because I called them on a Saturday morning and took at least half an hour on the phone to explain to me what I'm in for and what his suggestion were to get things started. The only reason I'm looking for more info is so I can understand it all as it's all new for me. And they also told me to come to this forum and ask questions.

How ever I don't seem to find enough on this forum as ppl here have other interests over reef.

Geez I was just trying to help a fellow member out. Didn't realize it would bring the Gestapo down on me.

QLDAF is very limited in it's marine content both for information & sales. I thought the link I put up would be no problem but as it allow marine discussions it's taken down?

Whatever!!!!!!!!

Geez I was just trying to help a fellow member out. Didn't realize it would bring the Gestapo down on me.

QLDAF is very limited in it's marine content both for information & sales. I thought the link I put up would be no problem but as it allow marine discussions it's taken down?

Whatever!!!!!!!!

we have guidelines in place to make the forum run easier, i'm sorry you feel this way seeing as i am only following our guidelines, even more so seeing as i've helped you out a couple times and had you and your friend at my home, you will notice above that we don't mine other forums being talked about, but we don't allow links,

I don't think its fair that when someone puts a link up to another forum it gets taken down.

I understand guidelines as such. But if someone is asking for help on another forum and gets directed to this forum, would that be seen as a bad thing?

We are all in the same hobby and I think it's important to share info from a beginner to an expert.

I also don't think its fair on the lfs, in regards to sailing livestock and equipment. Sponsors on here sell the same products as some if the members sell. Only the members sell the products for a fraction if the price, putting the lfs to offer more discounted items.

I think that with too many guidelines and rules will end up destroying the "hobby". Well maybe not destroy it, but it will certainly deter ppl.

I understand that there is guidelines that are put in place for a reason, but really? We cNt put a link up to help someone out when there perhaps isn't enough help here?

as i have already stated, we allow forums to be talked about, but no links, its not that hard to use google to find the forum after somebody posts the name here, have you ever been a member on a forum with no rules or guidelines, have you posted links on other forums to see what happens, you will find most forums don't allow links,

Fair enough you can mention the forums and no links. I can accept that no worries. I was never pissed off any ways so sorry if it came across that way steveandjules. I was just trying to make a point regarding getting help

As shon said. Maybe we could all work together to build this one up

Edited by gingerbeer
Mod Edit

Ok so if I say masa, that's ok but if I put the www ect b4 and after masa that's a link- and "that's not allowed" correct? Wouldn't take more effort to put a link up instead of just the name of the site? If someone can't work out the www. Bit in front ect, then maybe they aren't smart enough to go into the " complicated" field upon which their inquiry is being asked ?

Every one has had their two cents so thought I might just add mine.

The rules are there for everyone and I know it is just like getting something new - you do not really want to read the manual - you want to start using it. So the rules generally get found out on the run and no harm there as it is a part of being helpful and learning.

Rather than post a link perhaps a PM with a link can also be helpful.

So lets play nice in the sandpit and enjoy the hobby for what it - a great thing to enjoy. :hug:

And lets get this back on topic and help out Measly19