I have never kept guppies before and got my first pair of Bluegrass.

I've only had them for a short time but it seems her belly is getting bigger and she definitely has a dark gravid spot.

What I'd like to know is, is she pregnant and if so how long 'til she drops?

They are in a 2 x 1 tank that I've been using to grow some Java Moss and Java Fern. Will the fry be safe or should I use a guppy box?

Sorry about the pics but she wouldn't stay still and the phone has a hard time getting the correct focus.

post-7863-14711630190759_thumb.jpg

post-7863-14711630189177_thumb.jpg

post-7863-14711630189805_thumb.jpg

post-7863-14711630190474_thumb.jpg

post-7863-14711630190624_thumb.jpg

Thanks mate, I grabbed a 5 in1 breeder box for when she's ready.

post-7863-14711630195006_thumb.jpg

Will I need that or will they be okay hiding in the plants that are in the tank. I have a 2 x 1 sheet of stainless mesh with Jave Moss and Java Fern attached.

post-7863-14711630195157_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kaizen088

I wouldn't use such a small breeding box as it will stress the female out quite a lot, especially if the box is exposed. There is plenty of plant cover in the main tank. If your especially anxious about the babies you can remove the male and any other potential predators until the babies arrive. The only good thing about the breeding box is it makes catching the babies out of the main tank a lot easier.

When I breed a lot of live bearers I would make a 25cm sized box out of small mesh gutter guard and clip it to the side of a 45cm tank or large bucket. Fill with expectant mother and some plants and let the small tank catch the babies. Essentially a larger version of the breeding box that let female get much closer to the tank bottom for security.

Hey Mate, I would just leave them in the 2 footer, the babies will find protection in all the moss and weed. I have a pair of Endlers in a 30cm round bowl without filtration (just water changes as required) with a T-Rex Skull ornament (I know, I actually used an ornament! lol) in the middle with Java Moss on the sides, around 20 Cherry Shrimp and they bred 7 babies the other week when the storms started and she's getting fat again. They all live happy together and once they get to big I will remove them but until then mate, that's their home and like I say, if they look happy why change things. So i would just let her go, see how they do and then make a decision on whether or not you should remove them.