gollys

advice please - and any ideas

OK so my dilemma is this:

I have since re-decorated and now my large 6 foot is the wrong colour.

I would like it white - but I am scared to paint in situ.

What if the paint harms the fish or if the paint does not adhere to the tank nicely (it is stained varnish) ?

I have been trying to find someone that could paint it professionally on-site but have not found anyone.

So I thought maybe I shall sell it and down-size????

But it is stocked with fish - and I have two large clown loaches (big fat things they are and healthy - around 15cm I guess in size) and also two large Angelfish - one which is an Altum.

But someone is interested in buying my tank, but I am half hearted now as I love the fish and would hate them to end up with a newbie that then kills them through inexperience.

so should I sell them off separately? Is there much call for medium/large Clown Loaches?

I am struggling with making a decision on these things, and I just want to do the right thing by the livestock.

So thought I would come here for some advice.......

Sounds like you'll be moving fish and emptying a tank either way

If the issue is tank stand colour (and you're attached to your livestock) ... why not just put your fish into tubs / buckets, relocate your tank to a spare bit of floor, re-stock, and organise for your stand to be sanded and re-painted?

Sure it's a pain in the butt, and you have to do the reverse when the stand is ready, but it's nothing that can't be achieved on a weekend with a little bit of help when you get to the heavy lifting part.

If you do resign yourself to selling ... do it separately. That way the fish go to the person who wants them, and not the person who just wanted the tank and got stuck with fish as part of the deal.

Worried about newbies ... advertise and sell your fish here on QLDAF .... I've noticed a few people around here know a thing or two about aquaria.

Sounds like you'll be moving fish and emptying a tank either way

If the issue is tank stand colour (and you're attached to your livestock) ... why not just put your fish into tubs / buckets, relocate your tank to a spare bit of floor, re-stock, and organise for your stand to be sanded and re-painted?

Sure it's a pain in the butt, and you have to do the reverse when the stand is ready, but it's nothing that can't be achieved on a weekend with a little bit of help when you get to the heavy lifting part.

If you do resign yourself to selling ... do it separately. That way the fish go to the person who wants them, and not the person who just wanted the tank and got stuck with fish as part of the deal.

Worried about newbies ... advertise and sell your fish here on QLDAF .... I've noticed a few people around here know a thing or two about aquaria.

Sounds like good advice - I am not sure I can empty the tank for re-painting etc - as it would be too heavy for myself and my daughter, it has not been moved since it was delivered.

So I was hoping to have it painted where it stands.

Good point about selling the stock off first - or adopting it out - as that would be a concern to me - having fish just as add-ons.

I am sure someone here would love the lovely big Clown Loaches - I just have to work out which is best for me to do.

I am thinking about having the aquarium white - has anyone else ever painted white? Does it look good or wash the fish out?

Mine is a tropical planted tank.

I do like my current fish - they are real characters, but if I did not have them, I would likely not want the tank and I realise it is silly to keep a tank just for fish too - as there is no guarantee with fish eh?