brody1

need advice about new tank!

hello, I am about to buy a 6ft by 2 by 2, but that's just the tank itself brand new, i was thinking about putting together my own temporary stand to use for about a year, i was thinking because its going in my garage on a flat concrete floor, if i put 3 milkcrates wide, and 7 or 8 milkcrates long, but what i was thinking is are milkcrates strong enough? so what if i stacked bricks and cut thick pieces of wood and put them under the milkcrates but stack them up to the same height , and then put a sheet of pli wood on top and then a sheet on foam? do yous think it would hold? ideas please ahaha ://

Don't skimp it mate, crates and blocks aren't tank stands, there's a few blokes on here that build metal and wood stands, would probably cost a couple of hundred. Not worth risking a new tank on a dodge stand. Not all besser blocks are perfect size and unless they are filled are brittle as

i beleived you can't take the milkcrates as it's the property of the milk co. When i "borrowed" some from the petrol station, the attendant told me that I can't take it, but he can "looked the other way" whilst I take it from the back storage. I took about 20crates but did returned it a few weeks after so all good.

I wouldn't trust it mate, as said by [MENTION=8997]Kyrin[/MENTION]. I would go down to bunnings or a trade place of sorts and speak to the guys in the hardware/wood sections and buy something a little stronger, just think where you will be in a year 'tank looking great fish doing well everything starting to look pumped then BAM all over the floor'.. Just my thoughts

Edited by Bully

What about pallet racking

Pallet racking isn't cheap and you'd need something to put over the rack to support the entire bottom of the tank.

Besser bricks with a sheet of plywood over the top will distribute the load over the entire tank bottom. Don't stack the bricks more than one high, and pack your 6'x2' footprint solid with bricks, don't skimp out and think you can just hold the corners and middle or some BS. 6'x2' is about 15 bricks in a 5x3 pattern, with the load being about 45kg per brick, well within spec. That will hold a tank for a year or more, but now you have to worry about knocking a hole in the side of the glass because your tank is only 6" off the ground. Oh and stack the bricks HOLES UP, they're designed to take a load in that direction.