Ok. This little guy is now about 5cm. The stripes are clearly black and white, although there is a little bit of an orange shimmer on one side. This I have found to be consistent with the Golden Zebra Loach. So I am just wondering if anyone out there has any more info on these guys. Or have I lucked onto a rarity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

where did you get it from

Like I mentioned earlier, it was an odd one in the tank with a half dozen other reticulated (yoyo) loaches. Not going to name names. Let's just say it was more of a pet shop than an aquarium specific shop.

As for rarity I was hoping there were a few more people around that possibly has one or knows of them a little more.

So far as I can tell. Everything I have been doing is the same as for my other loaches. The only irregularity is that he likes to swim around the mid section of my tank a lot more than the others.

Looking forward to updating you all on this oddity.

Edited by Pepperbris

Ok. After joining about 6 other sites, I've been informed that without DNA sampling I am going to have to wait till this guy hits the 10 to 15 cm mark. There are 2 types of loaches that can have this colouring although neither of them are this spectacular.

On the scientific side: apart from the regular trips around mid tank level, it seems to show very similar attributes to my reticulateds. It loves to annoy my male Bristlenose and is regularly seen stealing his algae wafers. Avid snail eater and doesn't mind the odd frozen bloodworm.

I am going to keep this up regularly to see if there are any major differences.

If anyone knows more about these guys any info would be appreciated.

Ok guys and Girls. This little guy has grown another half a centimetre. Still showing no major differences in feeding apart from the fact the he demolishes snails faster than his 3 times larger Yoyo tank mates. We also now have a coloured mark starting to show in the center of his dorsal fin stripe. So the estimate of heritage is slowly proving true.

Looks like Botia Histrionica to me. They are rare in Aus and the last time I saw them imported was about 6 years ago. Other Botia that are rare including Rostrata, Kubotai and Striata have been imported as well - I have had them all over the last 10 years.

My Histrionica's

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa140/loachelover/Fish/DSC_3369-1.jpg

My Rostrata

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa140/loachelover/Fish/DSC_3375.jpg

My Kubotai

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa140/loachelover/Fish/DSC_0657.jpg

Thanks [MENTION=537]Loachlover[/MENTION], the Histronica's pic you put up is pretty close. The bluefish makings are closer together in the dorsal stripe. Not on the ends as in pic. He's definitely taking his time growing, but that's half the fun.

So we are a few months further down the track. Growth rate has slowed right down. Picked up another 'contaminant' this one looks a lot more colourful with lines and blue dots everywhere. My original guy is now the most boisterous of the 6 loaches. I'm now back to gathering as many free cone snails from the pet shop as they will give. Yet not a one can be found in my tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk