shawry74

RO Water vs Demineralised Water for CR Shrimp

Hi,

Looking at getting into CRS and was wondering if there is any difference between RO and Demineralised water.

Only have a nano tank (40L) at the moment and possibly looking to expand, but after seeing Demineralised water (5L) for $3 at coles, I thought this would a cheaper option in the short-term before purchasing a RO filter.

Also, what stage RO filter (3,4 or 5) is best suited towards CRS.

Not a great deal of info on-line so I was hoping that any experienced shrimp keepers could help out.

Thanks

I'm not too sure about the difference between RO & demineralised water as I've never used demineralised water but I know that RO water should have a TDS of about 5-15ppm & you can get a good 3 stage which will do the job, ideally though, you want to get an RO unit with a DI(de-ionizing) stage, usually 4 stage or more, & that should give you a TDS around 5ppm. The lower the better as you want to be able to add as much of the minerals you want to the water when you remineralize it, this way you know exactly what's in your water from the start. :egrin:

How many stages an RO unit has doesn't mean much to be honest as it all depends what each stage is. There is plenty of info online if you do a bit of research.

You can set them up pretty much however you want but usually the first stage will be a sediment filter, typically either 1 or 5 micron. Second stage will be a carbon cartridge, either GAC or block. The RO membrane is the next stage and then if you want you can put a further stage in for a DI cartridge. Using DI my TDS is 0 and without it i get 7.

My unit is a 6 stage 50GPD made to my specs and cost $165 delivered including extra fittings as well as both the faucet and tap fittings.

HTH

Mate i havent even thought of looking at a RO unit. Have had crs for awhile now and never had a problem. All i do is let the water settle in the bucket with prime for atleast 45min to make sure everything has done its job and i havent lost 1 shrimp but have gained 100's.

I'm not too sure about the difference between RO & demineralised water as I've never used demineralised water but I know that RO water should have a TDS of about 5-15ppm & you can get a good 3 stage which will do the job, ideally though, you want to get an RO unit with a DI(de-ionizing) stage, usually 4 stage or more, & that should give you a TDS around 5ppm. The lower the better as you want to be able to add as much of the minerals you want to the water when you remineralize it, this way you know exactly what's in your water from the start. :egrin:

What do you use to remineralise your RO water?