corny-ratbag

Question about silicone work

Hi All,

I thought I would just get some more opinions. I ordered a sump through a shop who quoted $300 for a 3.5ft sump (I do admit the design is a little complicated) which I was happy to pay as they offered a quick turn around (within the week) and a top quality job. Below is a picture of the silicone job I received 3 weeks later. Am I being unreasonable to ask them to redo it?

1567iw6.jpg

2142jcz.jpg

It was through (in my eyes) a reputable shop. I was not looking for a refund, I asked them if they could rebuild it ready for between Christmas and New Year (gives them an extra month) and they have told me to take my money and go elsewhere .... I did all I could to help them out but they are just cutting me down even though I have been very reasonable about the entire situation when I know many others would have been abusive about it. If anything I have been trying to give feedback of the experience and the only negative thing I believe I have said is that I was disappointed with the turn around and quality and that I believe they could do better :(

Yesterday I saw they have listed the sump for $200 on facebook even though I asked them to give me a call to let me know if they could fix it or not. I have received no such call and the only reason I know they are not willing to fix it is because they have listed it on facebook .....

I am certainly not here to name and shame, I am simply looking for opinions on the silicone work they have presented me with. I have asked them if they think the work is acceptable and they have chosen not to comment on it so I wanted to ensure I was not being unreasonable to ask for it to be rebuilt.

Edited by corny-ratbag

Well I just built a 8x2 tank (my first tank ever) and after seeing that ill call my work professional. If they tried selling me that I'd pee my pants from laughter. Does it even hold water?

The tank itself seems to be ok (I didn't have a good look at it though), the example in the pictures are of some support bracings for a chamber that would be made out of egg crate.

I requested for it to be made to my spec (which is well and truly not a standard size), however I didn't measure the 'final' product.

It appears that the glass was cut to the wrong length and due to being pushed on time it is what was used. I have been advised that they had to get their business partner who is a tank builder to make the sump due to them not having time to complete it. I find this concerning as the reason I went with them was because I saw the quality of the tanks they had to offer and they said they would complete the build. I know of many dodgy tank builders out there and because of this I wonder who constructed it, unfortunately they refuse to tell me who made it.

ryan ..................................... you get what you pay for..........

was happy to build your tank and sump to your design for 1st set up......... even a thread of build..............

you got a ''s h i t'' build here on new sump.

simple............ my self or a good other tank builders on QLDAF could have done better

:beer: mike

i know who built this sump and as i have explained in a pm to corny ratbag its not entirely the builders fault ..... yes he will admit the build is not some of his better work (far from it and he will be the first to admit to that) but there is a lot left to be desired from the shop owner who supplied some incorrect info and a fair bit of miss info to the builder and strung him along to the point he was told on a thursday afternoon it needed to be picked up on saturday

dont go asking me for the builders name or the shop involved as i WILL NOT tell anyone who either of them are corney may wish to name the shop involved thats his choice

Edited by mad-n-angry

ryan ..................................... you get what you pay for..........

was happy to build your tank and sump to your design for 1st set up......... even a thread of build..............

you got a ''s h i t'' build here on new sump.

simple............ my self or a good other tank builders on QLDAF could have done better

:beer: mike

I could see this coming hahaha. I know you are super busy these days and they said they would be able to build the tank within the week ..... couldn't refuse that turn around!

i know who built this sump and as i have explained in a pm to corny ratbag its not entirely the builders fault ..... yes he will admit the build is not some of his better work (far from it and he will be the first to admit to that) but there is a lot left to be desired from the shop owner who supplied some incorrect info and a fair bit of miss info to the builder and strung him along to the point he was told on a thursday afternoon it needed to be picked up on saturday

dont go asking me for the builders name or the shop involved as i WILL NOT tell anyone who either of them are corney may wish to name the shop involved thats his choice

ok the plot thickens.... i dislike giving people good advice, then they listen to someone else... example (how do you keep your tank so clean) a simple sump that works and does its purpose... can see through there own eyes, then get other advice and gives poor results.................................... now proven

mike

ok the plot thickens.... i dislike giving people good advice, then they listen to someone else... example (how do you keep your tank so clean) a simple sump that works and does its purpose... can see through there own eyes, then get other advice and gives poor results.................................... now proven

mike

It appears it isn't the builders fault. The shop showed me a tank which was of decent quality and told me they would have the sump built within the week .... can't argue against that. If the shop wants to set unreasonable deadlines they need to see to them or at least communicate to the customer that there would be a delay and what the expected time frame is .... which they did not do :(

but at the end of the day does it work and hold water.................... it is a hidden sump after all............

No idea, the shop won't talk to me ... let alone sell it to me after I pointed out the build quality wasn't what they promised .....

I believe I should add that drawing was of course mine and it was a quick rough sketch which was only meant to be used as a quick reference to get quotes. I had verbally discussed it with the shop and they said they were happy with it. They did contact me to say the measurements were out the weekend the shop was meant to be building it and to not hold them up I replied within 1.5hr of them contacting me with the correct measurements. When I asked if they needed clarification of the drawing they scribbled on it more with some of their own notes.

The entire time I have been discussing it with the shop all I asked of them was communication as to what was happening. They said nothing about troubles with the drawing (except the measurements which I resolved ASAP) and they never mentioned that there were issues with the build.