ROAR99

best ways to clean tank glass

just wanted opinions on best way to clean inside tank glass without scratching the glass.... (geting new tank this week)

like most cichlid tanks mine has sand in bottom so im allways worried the fine sand geting cought and scratching the tank...

opinions please

Agree with Wickkyjr. Old drivers licence or old bank cards and credit cards are ideal for cleaning aquariums, as they fit in the hand and do not scratch the glass (but be careful not to get any sand between the card and the glass. Hold them perpendicular to the glass, and scrape upwards or downwards or sideways.

I have the best way sorry guys....its called getting called spending quality time with your kids...get them to earn their pocket money.......slave labour...

Cheap Nasty Stainless Steel Wool (Coles, Woolies, Reject Shop etc)............. has to be stainless and not steel otherwise you'll scratch it. Obviously the soap free kind too!

post-4720-14711630259254_thumb.jpg

Quality magnet glass cleaner every few days keeps the glass pretty clean but has to be used regularly, If you let it go for to long definitely going to use an old card :)

For the inside of the tank? I assume not.

Magic sponges are totally chemical free and work very well inside the tank, even with fish inside. Been doing it for years without a drama.

Magic sponges are totally chemical free and work very well inside the tank, even with fish inside. Been doing it for years without a drama.

Wow. That's cool. I would never have thought they were chemical free.

I know the "white magic" brand ones are.

And they have alsoreleased a new product. The "white magic" cloth. Found it recently at a local hardware store, absolutely awesome for cleaning the inside of glass.

They are blue though, for anyone looking for one.

I use an old iTunes card & believe it or not, viva paper towels for the film that be on the inside of the glass (you can only see this if you look from the back to the front for example) - I fold two sheets of paper towel to make a small pad and wipe it over inside. Of course only plain not coloured or printed towel. Then you can throw it away and it neat to see the gunk on it (hehe).

Only use Viva Paper Towel though as it is stronger and never breaks up.

Been doing that for years and got the tip from a long term aquarist fanatic.