Welcome to QLD Aquarium Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mungor

Flagtail Racisim????

16 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Flagtails and other species of fish hating them? My flagtail would have to be about 20cm and I have had it since it was little but recently for some reason almost all the fish in the tank now hate it and aggressively chase and bite it with particular viciousness from a 45cm pink GG and all 14 peacock bass(20-30cm). I took it out for a couple of weeks to mend and thought that I'd try again to see if things had changed. The moment I did the pink GG came flying 12 feet at ramming speed to try nail it. Fortunately it missed and then the bass all started taking bites at it. before I knew it the pink GG had turned around and grabbed the tail of the flagtail in its mouth and thrashed it around before it slipped out. Obviously grabbed a net quick smart and removed the poor thing. Its a little shaken up but not seriously injured thank goodness.

Now the weird thing is that I have all sorts of other small fish (Eg. 12 clown loaches, 12-15cm misc cichlids) in the tank that all get along without any problems at all. I had also just fed them so its not like they were starving. The pink GG is placid and isn't even one of those that tries to eat your finger so it seems so out of character. It just seemed like pure hatred and I was wondering if anyone else has seen this happen?

If all the fish are targeting it perhaps the flagtail has something wrong with it? Some disease, parasite, weakness or condition the other fish can detect that you can't? Aside from one of my Daffodils hatred for snails the only time I've ever seen "hate" from fish (excluding the obvious like MJs :P) was when I was a kid (13 maybe) & I had no room to QT new fish.

I'd added some Bolivian Rams to a very well established Blue Ram tank & everybody got on well except for 1 large male Bolivian who got hammered by every fish that saw him. He even tried to hide in a large BN log & the BN inside not only forced him out but was swingin it's head at him with the interopercular spines out (like when male BNs biff). I removed the Boliv Ram & put him in a bathtub outside that I bred yabbies in (feeders for my native river tank, miss that tank still). Within 5-6wks every single cray died, the ram too, same as all the gudgeons that were in with them. No idea what that Ram had but it killed an entire bathtub of feeders & I'm sure had I fed any of those yabbies to my natives during that 5-6 wks it would of killed that tank too. Thanks to my mate givin me a whole crapload of baby rainbows the same wk as getting the new rams, I didn't have to throw any yabbies in the native tank & thanks to my Blue Rams' & the new rams' reactions to the crook fish they saved their tank too.

I kinda doubt this would be the case if you've had him since little but maybe QT your flag for awhile just in case?

I knew the owner of the LFS I bought the bolivs from (family friend) & he had taken them out of a display to sell to me. After all the drama I started trying to figure out what happened. They were in the shop display from 2.5-3cm young, they all grew up together, a pair amongst them had bred & they were in the display for at least a year. Never a drama in that tank aside from white spot from a new employee throwing a bunch of tetras in the display. As soon as I took them home it must of triggered whatever disease or bacteria or parasite it was in the ram. Still to this day dunno what it was, I have my suspicions but no point in speculating.

I really hope for your sake the above doesn't apply to you. I hope it all works out mate, best of luck.

Thanks for that, there's been no sickness in the tank whatsoever but while its a possibility I don't think that's the case. Well at least I hope not :). Maybe hes a reincarnation of Osama Bin Laden or something which would explain why the Americans hate him so much and maybe the pink GG is just going along with it?

Hahahaha!!! Maybe draw some stars on part of his tail, confuse the Americans lmao

"He can't be all bad Jed, he's wearing the flag", "I spose you're right Skeeter" lol

Edited by BigPete86

My guess is that your fish think your flagtail has come of age to be eaten.They are a Brazilian bait fish at the end of the day.:beer:

They are a large group schooling fish and get nervous if alone which may be the problem. They are quite flighty and great at jumping. I keep schools of 20+ which provides them security and better interaction.

prochilodus_zpsf63b1ea0.jpg

They are a large group schooling fish and get nervous if alone which may be the problem. They are quite flighty and great at jumping. I keep schools of 20+ which provides them security and better interaction.

thats a epic photo aquaholic, very nice fish, do you breed them ? have any around the 20cm mark for sale perhaps ??

When I say flighty and jumpy, I really mean it. One of my friends came over to help me seine net an earth pond a couple of years ago and the prochilodus became lethal flying fish. He got a fractured collar bone for trying to help me out and I got a black eye. He hasn't been back since :( They are lightning quick and solid. They do live in fast flowing rivers after all.

I don't keep them in ponds anymore, just above ground swim pools and large tanks.

oops don't mean to put anyone off these fish. They are very gentle natured and timid alone but look great in a school with nice colours. Good algae cleaners too.

My adults are in a 3m deep tank and very graceful at all depths - bottom feeding as well as surface sucking. Smaller fish in pools that look magical in large schooling formations. I would keep at least 3 or 5 fish if your tank isn't big enough for a large group.

awesome pic aquaholic, so would you suggest I try accumulate more to put in at the same time? Remember though that the flagtail has been fine until the pink GG and pbass started chasing it. Would be really interested to know if it was this specific fish it hates or its species in general

Hopefully you can look at your flagtail and decide if it's being intimidated or if it's confident. As I'm sure you already know, many fish will pick on those that are scared. Flagtails definitely do better in schools but if you add a couple more, it's quite possible the timid one's behaviour will just influence the new ones. A school should build confidence as well as shift/share bullying from one individual. Another option would be to add some more mindless fish as dither fish. Tinfoils for example may be suitable as they are tough. Third option is to just get rid of the flagtail altogether.

Gourami do have a wide range of individual personalities as well. Most are quite territorial and one of the most powerful swimmers that I know of. GG have holed at least 6 of my swim pools (pvc lined) just by slamming into the sides.

Edited by aquaholic99

Ok LFS in Darra had a couple more one larger @ 27cm and one smaller @ 16cm. Thought the only way for me to know for sure is to try with different fish and given that there would be a much larger one. Well it took all of about half an hour for me to get my answer .... My pink GG and peacock bass really do hate Flagtails no matter what the size. They took a few bites to the tail but nothing too serious and will now be up for sale with my 20cm one