Sign in to follow this  
cameron

Salt water tank setup help

Hey guys just bought a new tank that was setup previously for salt water but i have no idea on how it all works:

Gear that came with it:

- 3ft tank, stand and hood

- red sea prizm protein skimmer

- fluval 205 external filter

- 2 lights 1 water plant aquarium plant and 1 coral blue lamp, coral and invertebrates both are YZ-20W

- around 20kg of salt 10-15 in a big bag and about 5-10 in a red sea coral pro salt

- testing kit (Ph, Nh, No, Alt, Ca)

- dead coral and sand

what else would i need to get a basic setup was wanting to put the classic clown fish in it as a starting point. The guy we got it off said all we should need is a hydrometer and that should get us started.

also how do you make the salt water as i have seen people use a reverse osmosis which looks somewhat expensive and technical, Do i need one?

Edited by cameron

Hey mate ur salt level should be around 1.025 I get my water from the mouth of a river at high tired, but if I can't ill mix it in a 3ft tank for 2 two day + with a pump to keep it moving..

Also don't add fish till ur tank cycled and all the level are going down.

You might need a chiller to?

With ur light go led there cheap to run and better

I'll past something on to don't but cheap.. Not saying buy the most high price thing just shop around there heaps of online Aussie aquariums shop that sell great tools

If u need to know anything mate just message me I got stuffed around sooooo much telling me to buy this and this and it just a waste of money $$$$

Edited by coops1234

Hey guys just bought a new tank that was setup previously for salt water but i have no idea on how it all works:

Gear that came with it:

- 3ft tank, stand and hood

- red sea prizm protein skimmer

- fluval 205 external filter

- 2 lights 1 water plant aquarium plant and 1 coral blue lamp, coral and invertebrates both are YZ-20W

- around 20kg of salt 10-15 in a big bag and about 5-10 in a red sea coral pro salt

- testing kit (Ph, Nh, No, Alt, Ca)

- dead coral and sand

what else would i need to get a basic setup was wanting to put the classic clown fish in it as a starting point. The guy we got it off said all we should need is a hydrometer and that should get us started.

also how do you make the salt water as i have seen people use a reverse osmosis which looks somewhat expensive and technical, Do i need one?

Have you cycled an aquarium before?

Happy to go into lots of detail if you are new to it all, but if you have some experience, I am happy to point out the differences between marine and fresh.

RO is a good investment to make, as you will get constant value from it.

Top up water for starters, and making water for water changes.

Coral Pro redsea salt is likely Australia's favourite salt.

Does the job nicely.

I'd also consider getting a refractometer, rather than a hydrometer.

Once again something you will get constant value from.

Accuracy and ease of use.

You have a good set of test kits to get you started.

Ammonia and is it Nitrite or Nitrate?

Ammonia and Nitrite, will let you track the cycle, which is an excellent tool to know when you are ready to start adding livestock.

Make sure you record any tests you do.

Can you get some pictures up of the setup?

Will make it easier to give filtration advice :D

Heck it makes it easier to give advice on everything.

As it stands I would definitely consider adding some wavemakers.

The 205 alone is severely underpowered.

We definitely need to look at the media inside the the 205.

We can optimize it with some marine pure spheres, chemical filtration and perhaps even nitraguard to drastically reduce water changes.

The prizm skimmer is a bit of an old warhorse.

Sure they are big and clunky...... but they can still rip some nice thick skimmate if they are nicely tuned.

So it should save you some water changes.

And thats the name of the game!

Its also a hang on, so works well without a sump.

Ideally though, adding a sump would be the best solution, not only for filtration, but also to hide the equipment to maximise aesthetics.

It all rides on exactly what you mean by this....

a basic setup was wanting to put the classic clown fish in it as a starting point

Are you adding anemone or basic corals?

If we add anything like these, I would reccomend getting new tubes for the light, as they are photosynthetic.

I'd also look at getting better lights longterm, as its the most important part of a reef setup.

But for now, with fish only they should be ok.

Sign in to follow this