Sign in to follow this  
jimbozed

alto fry mortality rate???

just wondering what sort of survival rate alto breeders are experiencing?

i seem to be loosing a large amount of fry between 3-5 weeks , just after fry become free swimming.

i first thought water quality but now think maybee food?

i am using powdered nls pellets

hey george 8)

i feed my calvus babies live baby brine shrimp for the first month or so then i ween them onto frozen bbs. from my last batch i lost alot to heat, the tank was upto 33 one day and i lost 50 or so but my newest lot is about 5 weeks old now and i havent lost any since i moved them. when i do waterchanges i do them every 2 or 3 days and i do 10% and i syphon water back into the tank through a peice of airtube so i dont change the temp in the tank too much.

I will now believe it or not post a sensible post!

Baby brine shrimp i have found in my experirnce is a must for the little fellows, they are also very sensitive to water parameters, are u removing them from the adults tanks or raising them in a fry saver in tank? WHen mine breed i use an in tank frysaver with sponge filters very mature! This way the water conditions and temp do not change, they do not like fluctuations in temp and water quality. After a period of 5-6 weeks i move them to their own tank which again is fully seeded and ready to go! But as mexicannnannanananantropicaandude said baby brine and temp flucs dont sit well with them. When doin water changes on the little fellos i use the existing water from the adult tank 2-3 days after i do water changes in it! thus keeping the same or very similar parameters.

Hope this sensible post helps.

Love ya sweetlips.

8O:lol::D:):(:o:arrow::idea::?::!::evil::twisted::roll::oops::P:x8O:?8):lol::o:(:):D8O8O8O8O8O8O8O8O8O8O8O8O8O

Sign in to follow this