Sign in to follow this  
linny

---setting up a salt water basic fish only aquarium

Hey I'm looking at setting up a basic salt water tank for a mangrove jack, I'll be getting it in three weeks so I'd like to have a tank cycled by then its a 4x2x2 1/2 with a chamber sump but I have a wet and dry sump I could use also, I have fifteen kilos of coral pieces heaps of Jap mat, filter sponge, Dacron, Scoria, and sponge filters I can use. I've been reading on the internet all different ways and looking at all different setups but it seems everyone have there own opinions so I'd like to get a few opinions from you guys and see what I can come up with thanks in advance.

Hi Linny, few questions first. How many mangrove jack are you getting? Male or female( yes it does make a difference)? Which region is it from, qld, wa, nt? What size will it be? All these things you will need to know before you can set up a tank to accommodate your stock.

3 weeks is not very long to cycle a marine tank, especially for such a heavy bioload fish as a mangrove jack.

Get it started STAT

but expect it to take around 6 weeks for all the ammonia/nitrite to be under control.

The only way I can see it happening in 3 weeks is if you are able to get some cycled filter media from an established aquarium.

Are you planning to run salinity around 1.025?

As in full marine?

Because if so, perhaps you could purchase someones complete marine aquarium, and just move all the live rock and sand into this tank.

And all the filter media into your sump with the new stuff.

If thats not possible...... bottles of API quickstart will help.

But yea you gotta get it started quick!

cycles can take time man, and you need a robust cycle that can handle tonnes of ammonia (protein) being released by the fish daily.

Sign in to follow this